I start mt EMT course next month Any Advice?

Jahism

I will be starting a class on the 26th. I tell all of my students the same thing before we get started. BE HONEST. I will not tolerate someone telling me a lie. You have to be honest all the way through. That means, in the classroom, during your clinical rotations, and on into your career. The hardest thing to remember is the last lie you told.

I also encourage my students to "write, write, write". Do your workbook. I give handouts at every session. We then go over them at the next session for review. In order to write something, you have to think about it in the process. This re-emphasizes the information.

When taking your exams, don't read too much into the questions. Narrow it down to two options. Now pick the "most correct" answer.

Good luck and thanks for joining EMS.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Study, listen, learn, ask and answer questions. Use good old fashion common sense. Relax and have fun with it.
:D [/font:a3cdf3e7b0]

Good Luck!!!! What worked for me was read the chapter (s) after you attend that weeks lecture. IE: if your instructor is doing childbirth on Mon read it on tues. etc. But probably the important thing is to take notes and never be affraid to ask a question even if it seems stupid to you

BSI, SCENE SAFETY!!!

Even if its just a BS practical that dosnt count, REMEMBER THAT!!! I did a practical during class and it began like this... a dark hallway with screaming for help coming from the end of it or possibly another dark room (couldnt tell, it was that dark). My partner ran down the hallway, the instructor, "fail!" Alot of people failed that practical... it was strictly to get you to ask if the scene was safe, the answer, no.

Probably wont be a practical for the examn but I believe BSI, Scene Safety is a critical criteria (pass/fail) for all practicals.

Best of luck!!!

Read your chapters before getting the lectures on them. It makes it way easier to understand what they are speaking of. Also, as soon as your class ends, sign up for the Registry immediately. DON'T WAIT!! Study hard and Good Luck, I'm sure with your background you will do just fine.

Good for you.....I will just restate what pretty much everyone else has.....STUDY!!! Study so that you understand the material. The idea of studying a minimum of 1 hour per 1 course hour is a good one, although I would recommend more. Always remember that once your working as an EMT, you hold people's lives in your hands. Always try to think of how you would feel in the same situation that your patient is in, and how you would want to be treated.

I agree with not hanging around as a basic, but do work for a while....it will help with your intermediate and medic training down the road. Good luck with everything, and pm me if you have a question, I'm always happy to help!

:lol:

I believe that the standard rule of thumb for studying is 4 hours of studying per one hour of class. So if you are in class for 8 hours a week. 4 hours monday and 4 on thursday then you owe the study gods 32 hours of outside studying. I never got that high though.