Bail Enforcment Agents, The Combative PT and Confidentiality

Well not only are you a well educated armed Private Detective Agency employee, but obviously an English teacher as well. I will concede that reading what I did today does not make me an expert, but since your so intent on NOT taking the time to educate me a little, how about something more constructive like addressing the OP. How should we as EMS providers respond to your presence on A scene after you have re-arrested a bail skip?

When I did find the information, that you so graciously accused me of paraphrasing, and post it, I highlighted the area speaking about "some states". If you continue to read through the post you will find that IL is not listed as having any requirements at all, unlike the 3 (CA, LA, and TX) that are listed and KY that has no "bounty hunting". From this my question to you is: What formal training did you undergo or is required by the great state of IL? Can you explain to ME (a lessor of you) what a "Tan Card" is? I am curious, but only due to the fact that you have no time to educate ME, although you obviously have time in your busy day to take cheap shots at my spelling, and explain to me how to use the spell check. It would be nice to have a conversation with you a little about this issue, but of corse when you have the time.

As far as the racial comment is concerned, I have no idea where you think that you know me, or what I'm about, so I will ask of you, not to let that crap get started!

That's because if you actually did research other than a 3 minute wiki quote, you would know that the bail bond system as well as bail enforcement agents have long been stricken from the books in IL. We dont use them here which is why there are no requirements since neither can operate within the state. A bail agent, while he may cross state lines to apprehend a skip, may not enter a state for the purposes of a fugitive recovery which does not have an operating bail bond system or allow the use of bail recovery agents or "bounty hunters" to recover those who skip bail.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to recall my source, but I seem to recall, within this calendar year, reading a newspaper story about a woman, "in custody" of a "bail enforcement officer", who left the woman in a local jail for , shall we say, "overnight security".

Neither the local LEOs operating the jail, or the bail enforcement officer, bothered to listen to the woman's protestations that she was not the wanted person, and had never been to the state where the bench warrant had been issued.

On arrival in the warrant's original jurisdiction, the bail bondsman who contracted the bail enforcement officer asked who the woman was. It turned out that she was NOT the woman on whom the warrant had been issued!

The woman is charging the bail enforcement officer, the bail bondsman, the LEOs from the overnight stay in jail, and their agency, with interstate kidnapping, kidnapping-conspiracy, assault, battery, illegal imprisonment, damages to her home (when the bail enforcement officer broke down her door), and dereliction of duty, as she had demanded, to deaf ears, to be fingerprinted as proof she was who she said she was, and not who the bail enforcement officer said she was, while in the mid-journey jail.

Here in IL, if a person is refusing care but will not sign the refusal, the signatures of the medical responder and a LEO are considered sufficient along with an explanation of same in the run report.

I think the disputed issue at hand was not a refusal witness signature... but rather having the bondsmen, LEO, whomever sign the refusal for the pt. In other words, if the person detaining the suspect wont cooperate with EMS, they hand the refusal to that person, not the patient. Which is wrong.

Wow, I had no clue Id open a can of worms... or something. *Pulls out the camping chair and cracks open a cold Sam Adams*

Eh, it got boring. There was side stepping of the main posts and concentration on the side comments used as excuse for not answering main points. Oh well. I'm done here.

Do you think a white boy trying to "fit in to the surroundings" (to politely put it) would be much better?

If you mean "keeping a low profile" then yes. If you mean dressing like 50 cent and flashing gang signs, then by all means, no.

• 3 weeks later...

While I agree that if there are problems; then by all means, bring law enforcement into play. Having a shouting match with anyone over who is the actual boss is counterproductive at best.

The 'problem' I'm having with this post is the section hilighted in red....how can the bondsman even BEGIN to decide whats best for the patient, or even refuse medical treatment on the patients behalf? If theres ANY signature on a refusal to treat form, it had BETTER be that of the patient!

To allow the bondsman (or law enforcement officer) to speak for, and ultimately refuse medical treatment for the prisoner would constitute abandonment.

Even in the event that the patient is a minor, the ONLY people that can sign a refusal would be the minors LEGAL GUARDIANS, appointed by the family court. Last time I checked, not even law enforcement has that power; even with 'one in custody'!

How does it work in your state then? In Arizona, PD can take "custody" of anyone they want (given the right circumstances), and when they do this, they have POA for them.

So I was wondering, as I continue to see more and more bail enforcement companies and agents in my area. Just how does HIPAA apply with them?

If I get called by PD for a combative suspect I can choose to have them come on board the ambulance or follow me in their vehicle. But Bail Enforcement Agents are not sworn officers of the law and do not "arrest" a suspect, therfore if I am ever called to treat a suspect they are taking into custody... do I contact PD if needed or can they legally be in the ambulance?

Truly, this would be best addressed to the legal council for your department.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.