study advice for ITLS

I am taking ITLS the beginning of next week and I am looking for some advice/tips on what I should study. Been studying basic trauma/treatment and started to look at trauma codes. Can anyone point me a little better direction for study? Thanks in advance.

I have and am... I was hoping someone could point me in direction of what kind of scenarios are used, how much pharm is involved, if "special" equipment (ie chest decompression, KED, traction splint) is used, and the such

Some scenarios that I have seen are Car versus pedestrian multiple broken bones, limited LOC; pregnant lady in car wreck remember to position the patient a little on their left; fall from a roof with ETOH involvement; car wreck with two individuals, one deceased and one with bilateral femur fractures. Not many drugs except O2, but the most is how you handle the trauma (control bleeding, immobilize, etc.). Be sure to have the c-spine protected before you talk to your patient as this is an automatic fail criteria. Be sure to go over your books thoroughly as the class moves at a very rapid pace and caps on what is in the book. Hope this helps.

Michael

I have and am... I was hoping someone could point me in direction of what kind of scenarios are used, how much pharm is involved, if "special" equipment (ie chest decompression, KED, traction splint) is used, and the such

If you want to get the most out of the course you shouldn't be trying to go in knowing the scenarios. If you just want another card then be my guest. The KED and Sager could definitely be used in a basic level course, but as an EMT you should already know how to use these anyway.

I just happen to be an ITLS instructor. My advice for you is pretty consistant with what the others have said, read your book prior to the beginning of class. At the basic level; long bone splinting, spinal immobilization, ked (xp1) application and use, patient assessment, helmet removal, are a few things that I can remember for basic level. My other bit of advice is to get an detailed, systematic approach to patient assessment, don't work on C if you don't have A or B done. As for scenarios, there are 3 different types; military, hospital, and pre-hospital. Another bit of advice, our classes are "hands on", if you don't palpate the area, your evaluator may not tell you if you have missed something. So, study, do your best, and you will learn.

...do your best, and you will learn.

I think this is vital. I tend to believe that you're learning next to nothing when you don't get a little nervous with new stuff, 'specially hands on stuff. We all wanted to be the student the 'nailed it' or looked good and confident when everyone else was fumbling...but the fumblers, at least those that can think and fumble at the same time, are getting a much better experience. They are learning to think in that state, and some day you will be in that state and someone's life will depend on you thinking.

Read your book, relax, go into the experience with the intent to learn not simply to perform, and you'll do great!

Great post ol' man.

Dwayne