officers

wildfire66

So, short of as a way to 'justify' higher wages, who exactly is an officer going to lead on a crew of 2?

In my system, and probably many more, it is NOT just a 2 person crew. It is anywhere from 2 crews of 2, to 25 crews (or more) of 2, plus driver only specialty units at a Multi Casualty Incident.

I am not going to quote, chapter and verse, what the FDNY EMS Ops Guide says, and it's probably copyrighted anyway, but it does spell out what, in general, is expected of EMTs, Paramedics, Lieutenants, Captains, and Chiefs.

Someone already noted that someone has to keep the time sheets, order non-medical, disposable, reusable, meds and fuel supplies for the vehicles, or even see that the vehicles have been pulled from service and prepped that the repair shop can get them quickly for preventative maintenance, and the restocking of same on their return.

FormerEMSLT297 can, if he feels like it, tell you what I probably left out for running the station, after all, he used to run mine. But I think you get the drift, even if he gives no further input.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I already said, mangers, QA, crew chiefs, etc. You don't need a 'captain' or other such nonsense on every unit. The last thing I want to deal with is some [insert random rank basic] talking out their rear and thinking that it matters that they are [insert rank]. Unless QA or supervision is your (generic "you") job or you're a higher medical level, care should be cooperative and not about ordering people about. I don't care what rank some basic is. If he/she/it is talking out their rear end, I have zero problem disregarding what is being said.

Nobody is talking about on every unit; least I'm not. But having supervisory personnel IN THE FIELD, and not sitting in an office is almost mandatory, unless you're working for a very small system or non-emergency transport service for all the reasons that have been listed and more. And yes, at some point they may end up dictating your patient care to some extent (this is why they should be required to be certified at the highest level of care provided); at an MCI who do you think should be running the show? Who decides who gets put into triage? Transport? Who get's to be the gopher? Communication? All of this will affect what you do for your patient(s). If you encounter a situation that you aren't sure of or aren't capable of handling, the supe should be available to assist (should be, again, this is why a stringent testing process should be mandatory) which again may have them telling you what to do.

Like it or not, you will have someone above you in the services structure (unless you get to that level yourself) and like it or not, they will have the authority to tell you what to do. How much will vary, but it's always gonna be there.

• 2 weeks later...
So, short of as a way to 'justify' higher wages, who exactly is an officer going to lead on a crew of 2?

Most of the career fire departments in my area do that. It creates a career path for their EMS personnel that would not be otherwise available to them outside of Suppression. Lieutenant (3 per unit on different shifts), Captain (1 per unit on his/her own shift), and (currently) one Deputy Chief-level EMS officer (office job). It also prevents a Suppression officer from pulling rank on a scene, because s/he doesn't have the only bars there.

The largest department in my area is looking into an EMS Battalion Chief who would function as a roving field supervisor for the EMS crews, who currently answer to the Suppression BC in whatever area they're assigned to. It would create ANOTHER level of career opportunity with more openings, since there would need to be shift coverage.

The other reason for having the EMS BC is that EMS officers (Lt/Cpt) are tough to hang onto in this department due to call volume and burnout. As a result, there are many "Acting" officers, who are experienced EMS provides but may not have taken the promotional test to be a sworn officer (most departments here require 5 years on the ambulance before being allowed to test). So I think the feeling is that these Acting officers are experienced providers, but inexperienced officers, and may need some oversight in the field that comes from an EMS officer rather than from a Suppression officer.

The one Chief I was under at one time could never pass the Captain's test as a Lieutenant. He took it like five times. The Chief at the time sort of helped him get around it. He was made him the Maintenance Officer, which later on opened the door for him to become Assistant Chief. At that time Assistant Chief was an appointment so there was no test. And when the Chief retired, guess who slid into the job. So we had a Chief that wasn't bright enough to pass a lower office position, and at times show that lack of intelligence. But he had an ego and self righteousness to think he was Fire Marshall of the United States. Talk about a power trip.

Anybody remember "The Peter Principal"? That was a book whose author posited that people rise to one level above their level of competency.

One example was the 1st grade teacher, elected union delegate, always spoke to her peers, and that is including teachers of higher grades than hers, as if they were her 1st grade students!

Your lieutenant sounds like he illustrated the point of the book.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.