The ego

under-dreaming

The reason that I feel this is important is mostly for personal philosophical reasons, although I am sure that everyone can benefit from the perspective that we can all bring to the table.

You see, everyone has a unique way of looking at the job that we perform. Many of us have developed techniques, both physical and mental, that help us do our job better. There is a large part of this career that is not learned in EMS textbooks. I am referring to the psychological aspect. When I went through my basic course, there were a couple chapters that discussed stressors and healthy habits for dealing with situations. But those are just guidelines.

I suppose in an effort to gain perspective, I am simply doing this because I wish to learn through the words of those who have experience. There are over 20,000 members of this site (of course many don't actively do much), and all of that adds up to thousands of years in combined experience.

The human mind is not something that can be easily understood (understanding is of course subjective, therefore we may never truly know the mind or the way it works). I chose to ask about the ego because it is the ego that defines everybody. It will define you in its presence as well as without.

So far the bulk of the answers here have come from humorous angles (the eggo bit was a good one, I really should have seen that one coming!). These answers are still very telling of intention. Not necessarily bad or good. And it is helping me shape a model in my mind of the mindset of the professionals involved with EMS.

I hope that it helps all of you who are reading and replying as much as it helps me.

-Kiel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man this stuff is complex... I always have trouble with understanding the divisions of the psyche. I recently covered it as related to mythology... but since I've been buried in anatomy for a bit, it'll take me a few days to refresh myself on what we learned there.

Give me a couple days and I'll get back to this thread with a productive post! Or PM me.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm in a long time relationship, so I don't think I'll be dating any Wal-Mart staffers.

However, a Paramedic associate of mind had a great response to a potential girlfriend, who made similar statement. He was in a refresher class, and handed her copies of the "orange"and the "yellow" EMT text books, and a copy of Dr Caroline's book, and told her he was responsible for all that, the "bag of chips", and more that wasn't in those books.

The relationship died, but she became an EMT!

Sorry under_dreaming here is a serious reply to your topic. Since people are saying I am not being serious enough.

The ego is the part of that describes the negitive side of pride. Most of although some have a hard time admitting it are all ruled by our egos. Some just manifest it more in having to always be right. For example instead of coming to a reasonable compromise on of the people always has the desire to "be right" and they will not sway from that. The ego also causes some to believe they are always right there is no way anyone else can be right. Every one is wrong but them.

The ego goes along directly with the ID, according to Freud they are based on the unconcsious and the conscious thoughts. Ego is sometimes described as perception. Refereing back to the previously stated when we develope a ego we perceive ourselves often as something we are not. Like I am the best paramedic because I run with the best agency in my area. I am the best in the medical field because I am a flight medic etc etc.

Personally I have no ego I know there are people out there smarter than I am and have more education and better knowledge. I learn everyday and when you think you know it and the ego tells you you know it all its time to get off the pot and do something else cause eventually you will crash and burn.

Unfortunately there is no way to eliminate ego totally from EMS or any other profession its just part of the person.

Hope this helps you to see MY perspective on the ego. But I try to find humor in everything life is way too short to be serious all the time. A lesson some need to learn.

*spell checked so ruff wont fuss at me*

Dont confuse ego with self confidence, but being to confident can manifest as a big ego

Personally, I think ego is very much needed in this profession as well as many others. It is not exclusive to EMS, ego is what drives us to be better, to do better.

For whatever reason, you need to feed your ego to accomplish things.

We all have varying and fluctuating levels of ego, so yes sometimes it can go a bit overboard. But in the grand scheme, we need it.

There is no doubt about it, we have been conditioned to want to be the best, to get good grades, to get better scholarships, to have more friends, to do a better job, to make more money. We can tell ourselves that it is a natural human condition to exhibit these behaviors (and that may just be the case), or perhaps the social condition that has erected itself around us is a big part in our egotistical mindsets. I'm referring to the competition that we surround ourselves with, such as sports and politics. Even the friendly competition between classmates that can help us do well in a class. Ego brings us to the bar at night to drink our friends under the table, or to pick-up a date. It may also be seen that the ego has encouraged great minds to invent great things.

It appears that the ego is also responsible for some negative things as well. Like itku2er said, the ego is the negative side of pride. The kind of pride that will never admit defeat, or give up on a fools argument. Which is the kind of stuff that can drag down the development of the bigger picture. In fact the ego can shatter the big picture, and create a selfish world-view. The ego reminds us why we are all different, instead of what makes us all the same.

Where do we go from here?

-Kiel

Where do we go from here?

-Kiel

Simple answer We either control the ego or the ego controls us.

Nice website discussing the id, ego and superego (ergo, terri(id), dwayne(ego) and Dust(superego did anyone doubt??))

but all joking aside, heres the link

http://allpsych.com/psychology101/ego.html

Nice website discussing the id, ego and superego (ergo, terri(id), dwayne(ego) and Dust(superego did anyone doubt??))

but all joking aside, heres the link

http://allpsych.com/psychology101/ego.html

what the heck is a ergo? :twisted: