MOLST and DNR

From the New York State Department of Health, Emergency Medical Service Bureau, courtesy of the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association...

STATE OF NEW YORK – DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH

INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

To: Regional Emergency Medical Service Councils

Regional Emergency Medical Advisory Committee Members

Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

Subject: Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (MOLST)

Date: July 18, 2008

This is to advise you that on July 7, 2009 the Governor signed Chapter 197 of the

Laws of 2008 which allows for the use of the MOLST form. The law is effective

immediately. The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services is preparing a policy statement

discussing this law and the use of the MOLST form that will be sent to you and all

ambulance and EMS services. MOLST may be honored immediately and used instead of

a non-hospital DNR order. The non-hospital DNR order is still a valid document and is

an option for a patient. The MOLST form has now been approved as an alternative form.

Ambulance services and others may call you with questions. Please remember

that the MOLST form and process is not a Department of Health program although it is

supported by us. You may refer them to the WEB page housed at the MOLST Training

Center at http://www.compassionandsupport.org. It is my understanding an updated

EMS page is being prepared by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield to address the training

needs of EMS providers since passage of this legislation.

Some key points that will help you answer questions about this law, MOLST and the

existing DNR form are:

1. MOLST may be used instead of a non-hospital DNR form.

2. The non-hospital DNR form is still a valid form.

3. The MOLST form provides DNR information. It also contains instruction for

advanced life support providers on whether to intubate the patient or not when the

patient has progressive or impending pulmonary failure without acute

cardiopulmonary arrest.

4. The MOLST form is a bright pink, multiple paged form that is easily identified.

5. The MOLST includes information to be used in other health care settings such as the

hospital.

Once the bureau policy is finalized we will place it on the WEB and include a link to

the MOLST site.

Please call me if you have any questions.

Cc: Dr. Mark Henry

Dr. Deborah Funk

EMS Program Agencies

DOH Regional Offices

Bcc: Central Office Supervisors and Professional Staff

Is this just a NY thing Rich? I looked at the ems presentation it was informative. I was wondering if it will eventually replace all the other DNR forums? It dont look like it will be hard to explain to patients either but of course EMS providers don't have to do that.

Is this just a NY thing Rich? I looked at the ems presentation it was informative. I was wondering if it will eventually replace all the other DNR forums? It dont look like it will be hard to explain to patients either but of course EMS providers don't have to do that.
It is also a NC thing. I provided a link to the MOST info here.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/dnrmost.html

It is also a NC thing. I provided a link to the MOST info here.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/dnrmost.html

Thanks Jake as far as I know we do not have that in VA but I like the set up from watching the video and reading the power points on it.

I have not yet viewed the NC link, and what I posted was from a relay from the New York State Department of Health. I didn't attempt to actually reproduce the 4 page form the article refers to.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.