physician leaves temporary tattoo on patient

Just Plain Ruff

Strange how so many people are assuming she's trying to milk the system. Perhaps she is; however, the information I see so far does not support this theory. Why did she not go after the hospital? That really is a good place to hit up for money? Why did her family come out and say they were happy with the hospital and went so far as to say they place no blame on the hospital? In fact, the doc is the only one named in the lawsuit.

Take care,

chbare.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange how so many people are assuming she's trying to milk the system. Perhaps she is; however, the information I see so far does not support this theory. Why did she not go after the hospital? That really is a good place to hit up for money? Why did her family come out and say they were happy with the hospital and went so far as to say they place no blame on the hospital? In fact, the doc is the only one named in the lawsuit.

Take care,

chbare.

Exactly. Not everyone who sues is trying to get rich quick. It is a shame that due to our society, that is the assumption.

Don't talk about my lovechild's mama like that ! :lol:

On a serious note, I wonder how far up the panty line was. They did not say, but maybe it was placed below the panty line near one of her hips.

Also, some things to consider. The patient had the surgery on her back. She was probably placed on her back after she was intubated and had a foley placed. So access to her front did happen.

Something else, they blame the surgeon for the deed. What proof do they have. Nobody saw the surgeon place the temporary tattoo. It will be difficult to prove, I would think.

Exactly. Not everyone who sues is trying to get rich quick. It is a shame that due to our society, that is the assumption.

If the motive behind suing is not money, then why do it?

If the motive behind suing is not money, then why do it?

Maybe to discourage him, and others, from doing it again?

Say, how would y'all feel if it weren't a surgeon, but rather a nurse, medic, basic, or hospital orderly doing this sort of thing? And if you'd feel differently about that, why?

Something else, they blame the surgeon for the deed. What proof do they have. Nobody saw the surgeon place the temporary tattoo. It will be difficult to prove, I would think.

Umm surgeons attorney already admitted he did it, and does it to all his patients.

As to lawsuit I did jump, but when reread and realized below panty line, in my mind he crossed the line. As someone said if it had been my wife it would have bothered me. In fact might be reading a different story.

Let's see... I wonder if he told her that he does it as part of a post-op ritual? If not... she's got every right to be mad, even though it was only temporary. If I was undergoing surgery, and a doc told me hey, I put temp tattoos on patients because it cheers most of them up, how do you feel about that I'd probably say go for it doc, as long as it isn't a swastika. But doing it without consent is slightly scary.

Also, I'd have used something with less connotations than a ROSE... a rose on the lower abdomen implies something sexual.

Whoopsie, doc... guess you won't do THAT again.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Maybe to discourage him, and others, from doing it again?

Say, how would y'all feel if it weren't a surgeon, but rather a nurse, medic, basic, or hospital orderly doing this sort of thing? And if you'd feel differently about that, why?

Well, I hope she uses the money for charity, and not her own personal use if her only 'interest' is in discouraging the surgeon. I would think that doing a lot of complaining to the hospital would give him enough "discouragement" from doing it again than the trouble to sue the doctor.

As far as someone other than a doctor putting a temporary tattoo on a patient to "cheer" them up, I would say get patient permission first.

Umm surgeons attorney already admitted he did it, and does it to all his patients.

They said the surgeon does not deny it. They did not say he admitted it.

They also said that he has placed 'washable marks' on other patients.

Maybe it is just lingo, and I am reading into it too much, or maybe it is going to be difficult to prove.

Was it the best decision on the part of the surgeon? Probably not. Was there harm intended? I doubt it. That is why I think it is just a lawsuit for money. Just an opinion though.

not her own personal use if her only 'interest' is in discouraging the surgeon. I would think that doing a lot of complaining to the hospital would give him enough "discouragement"

Money is the most common, because the most convenient and efficient, way for courts to compensate plaintiffs. Defendants often don't respond to merely verbal complaints unless they're held accountable for substantive damages. Also, it wasn't I who said "only"; I was just offering another, perhaps additional, possible motive.

As far as someone other than a doctor putting a temporary tattoo on a patient to "cheer" them up, I would say get patient permission first.

What qualifies a doctor over the nurse, medic, basic, or hospital orderly to decorate a patient's body for anyone's amusement without the pt.'s knowledge or consent? Do med schools include courses in cartooning, tribal ritual, diplomacy, or mind-reading?

Was there harm intended? I doubt it. That is why I think it is just a lawsuit for money.

A practitioner doesn't have to intend harm in order to be responsible for a poor decision. The KKK pranksters may not have intended harm either, nor even some provider [or, uh, politician] who doesn't realize he's being overheard while voicing even mildly indiscreet views. Negligence and indifference can also be forms of mistreatment.

Just an opinion though.

And you may be right!

I can't remember if it was an actual incident or a joke, but, wasn't there a law suit about a doctor putting smiley faces on a guy's knee caps in surgery and he wasn't having surgery on his knees? The doc was going to wipe them off but forgot, or something. That just sort of sticks out in my mind.