Bridging the generational gap

Actually, contrary to popular belief, I really don't like the term "old" or "new school'. It sort of falls into the category of a lack of a better word or term.

When I teach or train I always give the most current and up to date material available. But I also include what has been done before, or what could be done in certain circumstances. I believe that there should be a balance in what is taught. Just because there is a new way of performing certain tasks doesn't necessarily mean you have to throw the old out altogether. Unless the old way was actually doing harm, don't knock it. A well rounded knowledge of your occupation is worth the extra material you may be presented with.

Matt (Mateo) put it in a really good way. "Experience is just not something that you can get by education alone."

You can learn everything you need to know to be a Paramedic in the classroom. But learning how to be a Paramedic comes from personal experience in the field, and the experience of others.

Should "old school" ways of doing things change with up-to-date treatments?

Again, we use the example of Leeches, formerly used for everything from EDPs to fractured limbs, now used, although not in the field, for increasing blood flow to reattached amputated extremities. Newer protocols will always be evolving, as our knowledge increases, as well as our understandings.

Are the newer medics and EMTs coming in to the field with more knowledge base?

Theoretically, yes. Unlike us "Old Dogs" learning "new tricks", they have no outdated knowledge and protocols to unlearn.

Can we and/or should we try to learn from each other?

Yes. There are going to be good solid reasons the older protocols were implemented, as well as the same for the newer ones. There will also be solid background when a portion of an old protocol is updated with a new portion. Old school and new school should help each other, for that reason.

What do you want to learn from the other generation?

See my last answer. New protocols might be easier to do with older knowledge, and the new stuff can be taught, if with reluctance, to the old guys (like me!).

What is your over all perception of the other generation?

When us old schoolers came in, we were going to change the world, and the ones we referred to then as old schoolers helped us, weather we wanted it or not. We "former new schoolers" are the old schoolers, now, and offer our help to anyone who needs it, asked for or not. Please ask, as we will ask for help on the new stuff. (theoretically, anyway)

How do we make change to better understand each other?

I cannot answer that one here, as each new individual will be taken on a case by case basis.

• 1 month later...

Can we and/or should we try to learn from each other?

Absoloutley... in fact it is in my humble opinion that if your not into constant learning and adapting to surroundings, then your not cut for this line of work. I mean hell, we do have to continue our education to keep our certifications. This is not to be confused with being "learning impaired" however, sometimes there is a cure for that :lol:

I recall a specific time when I was training a newbie. Said newbie had been on the job for at least 12 years... me, more like 5 years. So here I am wondering how Im ganna approach this guy and teach him the ropes. And Im sure when he met his partner (only been in the company 6 months and almost young enough to be his son) he was probably thinking something along the same lines as I... or maybe even as simple as "he's training me?"

We got to know eachother a bit and I asked him about his work history and experience, there already seemed to be some tension. So once I felt that he knew his stuff (cuz lets face it, we all know people who have survived in this job longer than they {for the greater good} should have) I came up with a short little BS speach. Essentially I broke down that I will do my best to respect his knowledge and experience, that Ill try not to be bossy and that all I ask for is he understand this and tell me if I am. At the same time, Ill be more than willing to help him learning company specific things (radio codes, SOPs and SOGs, the ePCRs and Toughbook tablet, getting around the area... etc.) and finally I added that I as well would like to learn from him in any way.

It really seemed to break the tension, in fact he asked me a few times to even critique his PCRs. I cant say I gained much knowledge from him, we didnt really do anything outside of "routine" (I really hate that word) calls. But I did gain a great deal of confidence, personal and proffesional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.