Ventriculomegaly

emt322632

My wife and I are expecting our first child in November. We're very excited, but recently were told we were to go see a perinatologist due to a finding of ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the ventricles in the baby's brain) on our most recent ultrasound.

I've done some research into this, found many instances of good and bad, and just was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this finding. What type of outcome was experienced? What complications?

The perinatologist we spoke to didn't impress me much, he didn't even bother to read the prior U/S report from our doctor, and seemed to insist to us that the baby may have Down's Syndrome, though he did no karotyping or other tests to back this up.

At this point it is a wait and see scenario, and only serial ultrasounds will tell us if anything gets better or worse. But I guess I'm just looking for others who, like I mentioned, have experienced this type of thing before.

Wish I could give more information on it. I just transported a female in active labor that the child was determined to have ventriculomegaly as well. The mother had been incarcerated and I had noted that she had several U/S along with an amniocentesis.

I do realize that it required a C-section and they were preparing for NICU as well. You & your wife, will be in my thoughts and prayers..

R/r 911

A friend of mine had a scare with that. Come to find out the tech had got some dates wrong and the baby was a little farther along than they thought. Everything came out fine.

It's amazing what they can do prenatal now.

I'll be thinking of y'all. Let us know how things go.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we went back to see the doctor...the ventricle size has decreased, brain to skull ratio has remained the same or decreased as well..

All in all, the doctor says this is what he wants to see happen. :-) It's still a wait and see scenario, and we won't know if anything is effected until after she is born, but this is good news.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and well wishes. I'll post pictures when she's born...:-)