Being a Paramedic???

:? I'm thinking about going to paramedic school. Can anyone give me some real insight into the life of a paramedic. I'm a single mother of a 5 and 2 year old. SSo I don't have time or money to waste. I just want to make sure this is exactly what I want to do. [/font:508be5ca1c]

Are you already an EMT? If not you'll have to work your way up. Depending on the state you are in there are different levels to go through. Check with your closest college. You just can't decide one day to become a Paramedic and take classes just for that.

I'll tell you right off the bat, it is your typical over-worked and under-paid job. It does take a lot of your time. Long hours and a lot of studying. And that's just the begining of becoming an EMT.

Are you an EMT? Do you work in the field?

If this is something new to you, then you need to experience it first hand. A lot of EMS services allow for civilian ride alongs. Contact some in your area and see if you can ride along for a night. This will show you the life and you can ask all the questions in person.

Will you be responisble for a large part of your families financial support?

Is it important for you to spend quality time with your kids?

If the answer to these two questions is "yes" then go to nursing school. The only advantage EMS has is that you get to drive with lights and sirens....Very little professional respect, horrible wages most places...decent if you go into a war zone....and lots and lots of hours....

There is personal fulfillment, which is fine if you don't need to earn money for your family, so that your income will be play money. Then there is personal responsibility...almost impossible to fulfill both as a medic without being a hosemonkey.

Good luck!!

Dwayne

I am a single mother as well, but my children are older than yours. I can tell you right now that I miss a lot of things they are involved in (baseball, school functions, etc) and I have to work a part-time job as well as my full-time job with ems just to make ends meet. They pay isn't great and the hours are long and hard. Unless this is something you truly love to do, it may not be worth it. Good Luck with whatever decision you make...

I will be a paramedic in a few months, I have however been a Emt for a number of years now, and I am also a paid firefighter/emt. There is alot of time involved in paramedic schooling, aside from just the class itself. My class consists of 200 hours in hospital and 400 hours ride along with a department other than the obne you work for, if you work for one.

On the other hand, if you end up working for a fire department or a service with shift schedules, its pretty nice working one day and being off for two (24/48). It opens up alot of time for alot of things ( school, family, vacation,etc..)

A major question you need to ask yourself, is can you take the time it is going to take to go through this schooling and give it 100%. Because I can assure you that not giving paramedic class your all will end badly, amounting to a bunch of wasted money.

Something to think hard about. Its a important job with alot of responsibility.

I would reccomend investing your time and money into another medical discipline where your pay and benefits are commensurate with your responsibilities and duties like Nursing, X-ray, PT. Resp. Therapy etc.

Once you complete your training and get certified/licensed, you will not have to take test after test when job seeking nor jump thru hoops that cost you lots of time and money. EMS can be rewarding for sure but pick a field where you get paid decently for doing something you desire! Good hunting.

The life of a paramedic can be very stressful at times and very satisfying at other times. The pay depends on what state your in, Unfortunately 99% of the job depends on what partner you get. It also depends greatly on your personality wether or not you should pursue a career in Paramedicine. Its a prerequisite that you have to be a little crazy.

hey.. i thought about this for a long time as well.. paramedic vs nursing? i finally came to the conclusion that nursing would be the best route for me. it pays better, nurses are needed everywhere, and they also have special nursing grants available. i know a lot of emt's that have decided to take the nursing route instead of being a medic.. and i also know a lot medics that decided to go for nursing, nursing school may take a little longer to finish but i think it would be a better choice. Ultimately, the decision is yours.. i wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. :D

To add, if you go into nursing, after you start working, you can easily go back to school and study whatever your heart desires. I have a cousin who is planning to go to nursing school and then take a weekend position so he can go back to school and finish his sociology degree. That way he makes a nice salary, and can complete his goals. If I had known what I know now, I would have probably done nursing, and then EMS. But, I hindsight is always best.........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.