Hysteria

One thing we come across is the hysterical patient. They are not combative. But they can be inconsolable and "freaking out" in a non-violent way.

On a four lane street a driver slowed and motioned for an elderly pedestrian to go ahead. The lady did, but when she go into the other lane of traffic she was hit. The woman that motioned her to go was the typical hysterical person, who wouldn't be. I wasn't at the scene but was in the ER when both ladies were brought in. This lady was literally tearing her clothes off. We put her in a room way down the hall from the cardiac room where they were treating the woman who was hit. One of the guys I worked with and I tended to her. Two nurses, a social worker, and even a Nun came in to help her. They gave her valium and I believe Versaid. It was a good hour before she calmed down enough to talk. Her husband came in and she started to panic again while trying to explain to him what happened. But he got her talked down quickly.

I worked a 3y/o struck by a vehicle one day. We had to quickly secure the Pt to a LBB, and leave the scene due to a major crowd who had become out of control (very emotionally charged). The driver of the vehicle (who also lived in the subdivision) also left before any emergency response had arrived due to fearing for his life (he was 18 ). The driver did call 911 and surrender to the Police who did not charge him with leaving the scene because of the above situation, and I do agree with that descion.

Any ways, PD brought the Mother of my Pt to the LZ where we had retreated to. I did end up pronouncing her at that point in time due to her injuries, and in contact with Med control, of course. We did bring Mom to the ambulance to give her some time to hold her child. I wanted to give Mom some kind of closer, and we did stay with her during this time. The reason we stayed with her? In my opinion, she is now my second Pt and concern. She was obviously beside herself, and did become hysterical at one point. I called Med control, and administered PO Atiavn. We then released her to family once they arrived (they were en route by ground to the receiving facility, and had to return).

approx 1 month later I ran into the oldest brother of my 3 y/o Pt. He was very grateful that we handled his Mother as well as we did, and also passed on a thank you from her as well. Obviously there is much more to the story (all the details), but my point was dealing with a hysterical Pt.

• 1 month later...
One thing we come across is the hysterical patient. They are not combative. But they can be inconsolable and "freaking out" in a non-violent way.

On a four lane street a driver slowed and motioned for an elderly pedestrian to go ahead. The lady did, but when she go into the other lane of traffic she was hit. The woman that motioned her to go was the typical hysterical person, who wouldn't be. I wasn't at the scene but was in the ER when both ladies were brought in. This lady was literally tearing her clothes off. We put her in a room way down the hall from the cardiac room where they were treating the woman who was hit. One of the guys I worked with and I tended to her. Two nurses, a social worker, and even a Nun came in to help her. They gave her valium and I believe Versaid. It was a good hour before she calmed down enough to talk. Her husband came in and she started to panic again while trying to explain to him what happened. But he got her talked down quickly.

Droperidol and ativan...ahhhh good times...:lol:

I just utilize the lesser known (possibly forgotten?) archaic remedy of treating female hysteria that was popular for many, many years. :D

And when the patient is a male ?

Ak wrote "I just utilize the lesser known (possibly forgotten?) archaic remedy of treating female hysteria that was popular for many, many years."

That works until their husband walks in. Unless you have written treatment protocols for the procedure. If you do then I have a question. Are there any job openings where you work? LOL :D:D:D:D

Males do NOT get hysterical, it is a strictly female illness... :D:D :twisted: :twisted:

I am getting out of the line of fire.... :walk: :blob6: