Input please on outsiders helping on scene

I never let outsiders help except the police, they come to every call its there rule, hell I have thrown the Nursing home nurses out of the room while treating a patient before.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great they want to help but they need to realize its your scene when you arrive not theirs even if they are more qualified then you. If they are a Paramedic or Doctor and the only medical tools that are there is BLS then they can only do BLS interventions.

I’ll always ask for ID and they’ll need to provide me with contact details, registration numbers and so on so I can document it on the PCR. Once everything appears legitimate then they can help.

I’ve never really had many people offer help, maybe people just don’t like helping on days off or they think were doing a bang up job without them :wink:

I never let outsiders help except the police, they come to every call its there rule, hell I have thrown the Nursing home nurses out of the room while treating a patient before.

Must make you feel all nice and powerful... :naka:

Its great they want to help but they need to realize its your scene when you arrive not theirs even if they are more qualified then you. If they are a Paramedic or Doctor and the only medical tools that are there is BLS then they can only do BLS interventions.

No way man, just use a pen for a cric stick!!

Seriously though, if there is a medic or doc on scene (with credentials) I will let thier superior knowledge guide my call. I am not out to prove anything, I want the best for my patients.

I detected a theme in Ruff's 2 scenarios......................just sayin

I've used bystanders before. They are good for compressions, holding direct pressure or anything else we feel they could handle.

We went to a MVC , van (church bus type) vs. F150. There were 10 pt's in the van and DOA in the pickup. Anyway, a trauma nurse from another hospital and a Army medic were on scene prior to our arrival. We were able to utilise there assistance until the calvary arrived.

OP, always remember it is your scene. Others claiming to be medical professionals, especially in a vacation destination, may not be able to function in your State. Regardless, if they want to help and you can use it, by all means accept it. Just don't lose control of the scene.

I would (and have had to do on several occasions) accept any help someone is willing to give me, but not let them take over the scene. If they try to, send them away, because if they mess up, it's your ass getting fired.

That being said, I think it should be a professional courtesy not to intentionally try to step on anyone's toes, and to recognize when you're about to. If you are off the clock, chances are you will be the toe-stepper, so the best thing is to offer assistance, but give them the scene, even if they are less trained than you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.