Fractured Testicle Is That Even Possible?

OUCH. I never heard it called a fractured testicle before. So how would you treat? Would you check his testicle? Lets discuss as you might get a call for this someday.

See the story below. I copied and pasted in case story goes away.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Chris-Snyder-Of-...sible-Blog-9993[web:4463367743]http://www.faniq.com/blog/Chris-Snyder-Of-Diamondbacks-Goes-On-DL-For-Fractured-Testicle-Is-That-Even-Possible-Blog-9993[/web:4463367743]

Chris Snyder Of Diamondbacks Goes On DL For Fractured Testicle. Is That Even Possible?

There Have Been Some Truly Brutal Injuries In Baseball This Yearby 100%InjuryRate | 29 hrs ago4 Comments »

I'm not sure what's going on in baseball this year, but there have been a few injuries that almost boogle the mind.

First we had Felix Pie who got a twisted testicle, which sounded funny at first, but he wound up needing surgery on it before everything was said and done.

In addition to that, Kaz Matsui came down with a case of anal fissures, which is every bit as bad as it sounds.

Now Diamondbacks catcher Chris Snyder will be added to the list of freakish, horrible injuries of the season after he got drilled by a foul ball Monday night off the bat of Brewers player Corey Hart.

And here's the diagnosis: Snyder has a fractured testicle. Man, it hurt just typing that.

By the way, I didn't even know that was possible, since, uh, I didn't think there were any bones there (yes, I realize that sentence is ripe for jokes). But yes, it's possible. From some medical site:

Testicular rupture or fractured testis refers to a rip or tear in the tunica albuginea resulting in extrusion of the testicular contents.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds absolutely terrible. And it also requires immediate medical attention. Which is probably why Snyder will be on the 15-day DL.

I'm just worried about what the next crazy injury is bound to be. I thought long and hard and I honestly can't think of anything worse than this. Hell, getting hit in the head with bat would be better than what's happened to Pie, Matsui and Snyder. At least you'd be unconscious.

Update: Just in case you needed to see what a broken testicle looks like, enjoy grimace as Chris Snyder takes one for for the team, so to speak.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definition

A fracture is a complete or incomplete break in a bone resulting from the application of excessive force.

Description

A fracture usually results from traumatic injury to bones causing the continuity of bone tissues or bony cartilage to be disrupted or broken. Fracture classifications include simple, compound, incomplete and complete.

That being said, it gives one pause to ask, how can an organ with no bones actually be 'fractured'? I could understand ruptured, I could understand lacerated, I can grasp bruised...but in this case, the definition of fractured as applied here, escapes me.....

Fracture does not need to involve bone.. for example - the infamous fractured liver. I it implies a "break" in the support structure of the organ which will result in organ instability as opposed to a laceration, puncture, or contusion.

Fracture is simply the separation of something into two or more parts under the strain of stress. Many parts of our body can fracture; however, fracture is often used to describe orthopedic trauma.

Pre-hospital treatment will be limited. Even the physical exam will provide us with limited information. Typically, a history of acute sports related traumatic MOI and sudden onset extreme pain should indicate a high index of suspicion for testicular rupture/fracture. The scrotum may be swollen; however, it will be very tender to palpation. If you have great assessment abilities, appreciating the fracture line is rare and occurs in less than 20% patients with this injury. Beyond that, an US will be needed for the definitive diagnosis. US is about 100% sensitive and 80% specific.

This is considered a true urological emergency like testicular torsion as necrosis of the testicle is likely. Salvaging the involved testicle is much less likely to occur if surgical repair is not initiated within 3 days of the injury.

Take care,

chbare.

Definition

A fracture is a complete or incomplete break in a bone resulting from the application of excessive force.

Description

A fracture usually results from traumatic injury to bones causing the continuity of bone tissues or bony cartilage to be disrupted or broken. Fracture classifications include simple, compound, incomplete and complete.

That being said, it gives one pause to ask, how can an organ with no bones actually be 'fractured'? I could understand ruptured, I could understand lacerated, I can grasp bruised...but in this case, the definition of fractured as applied here, escapes me.....

That definition is incomplete at best, and incorrect in areas.

All the men will be crossing their legs now...

A fractured testis or ruptured testicle is defined by rupture of the tunica albuginea and extrusion of the testicular contents.

You can have a fractured liver, fractured spleen, or fractured penis. Frequently these gain the term "fracture" because of their gross appearance. A fractured spleen looks grossly (and on CT) like a solid rock that is cracked or broken into pieces. Same thing with the fractured liver. Fractured testicle looks like a broken rock on ultrasound, with hypoechoic hematoma in the middle of the parts that are separated. Fractured penis looks grossly like a broken arm or leg.

Fractured testis, from emedicine:

435575-441362-829.jpg

'zilla

Any time that "testicle" and "injury report" appear in such close proximity I tend to stay away from the story altogether.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.