What do YOU want (MedicAlert)

mahabreta

Why do you want a medic alert bracelet in the first place? Having had an MI years ago would not be a reason to carry one. I don't think Plavix would be a big concern to anyone anyway, even if you were involved in an accident. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about all this. He may be better able to advise you than we can.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also to add to 4cmk6's list:

your insurance info.....because they run the world!

a copy of your signature, and maybe a statement of consent to treat to go along with that.........thanks medicaid!

find out if a private service is going to be transporting you, because you may need your credit card number as well......NO SLAM ON THE PERSONNEL....JUST THE COMPANY!

As a reminder, any of the medical alert devices are supposed to give information to the rescuers about the victim/patient, when the victim/patient is unable to do so for themselves.

I'll use as an example, an unconscious head injury patient, while the doctors are attempting to find out what is going on, is supposed to be given a CT scan, with contrasting elements. The contrasting elements are iodine based. The patient has a severe allergy to shellfish, which contains iodine. Is this patient about to have a reaction to the iodine?

If the medical alert device is utilized, the doctors, presumably, will at least know about the iodine allergy, and cut orders for a contrasting element NOT containing iodine.

Why do you want a medic alert bracelet in the first place? Having had an MI years ago would not be a reason to carry one. I don't think Plavix would be a big concern to anyone anyway, even if you were involved in an accident. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about all this. He may be better able to advise you than we can.

I was also wondering this... I'm not an ALS provider but I don't see what difference it would make at least in my treatment in the prehospital setting.

I'm in the same boat with long list of meds and longer list of allergies. I usually do have a bracelet that says "See Wallet". They do include a card for you to fill out, but it isn't too durable and for me not enough space. I'll sometimes just put my own list in my wallet.

I don't know about other states, but I think in IL they should have something on your driver's license like they do for donor option and your blood type.

That reminds me, I need to get a new bracelet. Hate the necklace.

I wouldn't get a medic alert bracelet unless you suffer from seizures, diabetes, or in some cases asthma.

I would however carry around a list of your medications, with your pertinent medical history written on it.

For your home, there is an excellent program called the Vial of Life project. This program provides you, free of charge, with a prefab medication list to place on your refrigerator, and a decal to place on your front door. EMS providers responding to your home will see the decal, and know a med list is on your refrigerator in case you are unresponsive and alone.

You can check out their website to see if there is an affiliate near you, if there isn't you can print out the forms from their website.

www.vialoflife.com

• 1 month later...

I was going to post a video or a picture of the new iPhone application. They now have a free app you can load "ICE" which allows you to load everything up. I haven't talked to any of the medics that have been working here to see if anyone knows about it.

I think the phone is to new for anyone to even know about it tho. I would personally stick to the regular bracelet-wallet cards than looking at a phone.

I once again voice my objections to the cell phone "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) programs.

1) If at an MCI, or anytime, I am not going to take the time to play with someone's cell.

2) If the MCI is from an explosion, unless the cell phone is attached to the patient, how do we know it belongs to this patient? The patient could have landed on top of someone else's phone.

3) Due to the possibility of secondary devices specifically for "getting" the rescuers, and such devices being triggered by a cell phone, activating a phone could trigger a call that would ring your bell...with an IED.

4) In war zones, the bad guys have been known to rig explosives activated by touching bodies and stuff on bodies. Again, touching these could end up blowing yourself up.

5) There is a very outside chance that the ID you read as "ICE-T" is not an "In Case of Emergency" listing, but a phone number for the actor playing Detective Finn Tutuola on "Law and Order-Special Victims Unit".

I once again voice my objections to the cell phone "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) programs.

1) If at an MCI, or anytime, I am not going to take the time to play with someone's cell.

2) If the MCI is from an explosion, unless the cell phone is attached to the patient, how do we know it belongs to this patient? The patient could have landed on top of someone else's phone.

3) Due to the possibility of secondary devices specifically for "getting" the rescuers, and such devices being triggered by a cell phone, activating a phone could trigger a call that would ring your bell...with an IED.

4) In war zones, the bad guys have been known to rig explosives activated by touching bodies and stuff on bodies. Again, touching these could end up blowing yourself up.

5) There is a very outside chance that the ID you read as "ICE-T" is not an "In Case of Emergency" listing, but a phone number for the actor playing Detective Finn Tutuola on "Law and Order-Special Victims Unit".

And how long have you been working Richard?

I have never looked at someone's cell phone-YET- but I have also never been in a situation where I have had to. Someone was around, a medic alert was present or info was available in his/her wallet. I think it's a great program to have and would without a doubt take a look at a phone if I were in a position where it was fit to do so.

And how long have you been working Richard?

With the caveat that I admit not knowing everything, even now, I have been working in the back of, dispatching, and driving, ambulances from the fall of 1973. Breaking that down, with overlap, Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps 1973-1996, sequentially with 5 "private" inter-facility transport non 9-1-1 type services 1975-1985, and municipal EMS/FDNY EMS June 1985 to...

To the best of my knowledge, here in New York City, EMTs and Paramedics are not allowed to go through pockets and wallets of patients; we have to wait for hospital security or the NYPD to do such looking for us. There is NO restriction on looking for medical alerting necklaces, bracelets, wristbands, or ankle bracelets, or going to a patient's refrigerator looking for the "Vial Of Life".

While I have found such vials, I never found any decals on the front doors, windows, or the refrigerator itself, indicating that the vial was present. Nonetheless, it is a good idea, as almost every home, far as I know, has a refrigerator.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.