SICK AND TIRED

We have been a volunteer department for 100 years this year and hopefully a hundred years to come. Our village borders a city that has 5 paid stations I work with them as there primary transport and paramedic coverage and work well with them But with some as soon as I am wearing my bunker gear some of them change but overall my fulltime job and my reputation as a caring individual that is a team player carries over to my volunteer gig As soon as I tried to involve him in patient care and explain every thing to the family and the patient as we were doing it. He became the village idiot. I am a firm believer in an extra trained hand can do wonders and in explaining everything to help aleviate apprehension but all he wanted to do was get into a bash fest he proceeded to take down our tent for patient privacy and pt care that had other patients we were caring for andproceeded to make a spectacle of himself he was more worked up than any immediate family member was. but it was an eye opening experience with these $15,000 go carts the familys were at times more concerned about re living there youth through there children and the $15,000 go cart then there actual children.

sounds to me that your problem was with a single person who made an ass out of themselves, rather than the fact that he carries a badge. just because this idiot is a paid professional doesn't make us all that way.

emt promises said it right by reminding you to keep your cool, and spenac nailed it down with his "warning". no matter who it is running the scene (volly or paid), it is their scene. this doesn't need to be a volly vs. paid issue

I have work events at the same type of tracks. Yes, I have had people run in and tell me that they are a paramedic from out of state and we are doing it all wrong. If they are idiots and hindering care, then they are removed from the scene. If they are nice and want to help, then I put them to work.

My old service used to run event coverage for a MC track. They had a call where the kid's dad was a medic from another county. The dad wanted to start the IV's and do most of the care. The medic on scene refused to allow him to do this ( as we all would).

This guy ending up suing the county and winning!! I am not sure how the judge ruled it, but stated that even though the dad was out of his county, he had the legal right to preform the procedures on his own son. I could not believe that a judge would say this.

I guess next time one of my family members need surgery, the surgeon better back off. I will be the one preforming that appendectomy!!! :shock: :D

We have been a volunteer department for 100 years this year and hopefully a hundred years to come.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No adult person likes to be emasculated... or whatever the feminine equivalent is. This guy was a fireman, as he stated several times. Think of this guy's life up to this point. Not only does he honestly believe he is in some sort of hero role, but the other people around him, particularly his family, believe the same thing. So what happens when all of a sudden there is an emergency, someone needs help, and he can't do anything about it? Is he going to sit back and just tell everyone up until this point the limits of his training and capabilities? Not by a long shot. The big fireman was panicking and it was how he was expressing himself. Don't take it anymore personally than the dog who bites you while you're trying to help its puppy.

These whole scenarios are why I think its important to emphasis Fire/EMS as a career rather than a lifestyle role, but 1,000 T-shirts from Galls are working against me on this.

OP. Tip. Avoid knee-jerk reaction posts, such as this.

My sarcastic quips aren't just for chat, I use them everywhere.

I would have said; Well, if he/she catches fire, you'll be the first person I call; until then, please try to keep calm, collect yourself, and stand aside.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.