Professionalism in EMS ... Is it Better or Worse?

Has EMS became more or less professional in the last ten years?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Became more professional
    • Became less professional
    • < 10 yrs. experience; but believe it is more professional
    • < 10 yrs. experience; but believe it is less professional

After reading in regards to a Paramedic stealing credit cards and other news worthy items, I see a slippery slope of our own. Yes, I realize some of it has always occurred, being one from the "Mother, Jugs & Speed" era. As with any other profession but in general outside looking in, would you say our professional demeanor, standards, and such better or worse in the past ten years?

If not what are some areas we can change, or remedy it? As well, we need to address the positive side to reinforce what we do have..

I've only been a medic for 5 years, so I don't have much to compare. I think the bar should be raised higher than its ever been, or should have been. I know there is a huge misconception the public has about EMS here in America. There have been several occasions where I have been very embarrassed to call myself a paramedic thanks to some of my sh!tbag colleagues. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is I don't know if professionalism in EMS was ever that great to begin with. I think there has always been issues with professionalism in EMS (as a whole). Was there ever a time when professionalism was gleaming in EMS?

EMS has definitely become more professional in this area over the past 20 years. Crews are in station and not responding from home and they are wearing uniforms instead of tee shirts and shorts. Radio traffic is more professional as is dispatch. There are fewer volunteers and EMT's and medics are more educated.

There will always be a few bone heads out there but we seem to be weeding them out of the service instead of letting them go elsewhere to practice their idiocy. We can only hope educational standards will continue to increase along with professionalism. Hopefully pay will increase along with the education. Crews still aren't paid enough in my mind.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

In my opinion, it has gotten worse. I was taught by people who were 'old school' EMS folks. In fact, I was the only person of youth, per se; in the service. After a few years, the older crews started to leave. Younger EMT's, fresh out of the class came in; and I see this all over the state. Nothing wrong with young EMT's and Medics; but some definitely have lowered our standards.

We had a level of professionalism that was equal to what it had been fifty years before. The crew was clean, wore a coverall uniform, spoke to the patient in a calm, respectful manner; helped the elderly walk, said sir, ma'am; showed true compassion and caring. I think that's what separates many services, the level of quality you get from each person, and the crew as a whole. If someone can apply their skills and education, coupled with respect for what we stand for, that's a good crew member. These qualities are what separate EMS services, more than a pay check.

In my opinion it has become less professional. Here it goes paid vs volly. In my experience the most professional acting service I have ever seen is a volly service. This volly service has numerous paramedics. Normally at least 2 paramedics per ambulance. They do extensive training and stay up with current education. They dress more professionally than most paid services without looking like cops or ff's. But they are slowly coming over to the dark side, the paid side. I hope they do not lose the professional attitude when they actually become professionals.

over the 15 years of service that I have, I would say that we have done more of a roller coster than maintained or even increased the professionalism of this field. I feel as if the newer generation is coming out of school smarter than I was at that time (book smarts that is). but things that I have started to notice in the past few years is the newer generation of medics and emts that feel they are OWED something instead of paying their dues and earning any respect. I'm not going to sit here and bash the newer medics and emts, because I'm sure that the "old schoolers" that taught me would have had similar complaints about my generation. My point is that WE need to grab hold of the newer medics hands and teach them, but this needs to continue throughout the future.

the next time you see somebody park their ambulance in a handicap space because "they are an ambulance", or accept money as a "tip". remind them that we are NOT working for pizza delivery services, and that EMS is a profession......MY profession.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.