Albuterol in CHF?

mshow00

Give albuterol in CHF?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Unknown at this time.

i'll just hook em up to cpap or something. although ive seen medics treat chf wheezes with nitro, albuterol, lasix and morphine. one doc in the ER i worked in told me to treat the symptoms and if they are wheezing give them albuterol. I'm not to sure myself

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant really see then benefit myself, could crap on about pathophys and all but thats already been covered. Beta agonist may treat the wheeze but it wont treat the cause, i would fill them with nitrates and PEEP em before i considered salbutamol.

one doc in the ER i worked in told me to treat the symptoms and if they are wheezing give them albuterol. I'm not to sure myself

Jesus, I hope he isn't anybody's medical director.

My protocols say to "consider" albuterol "if the patient is wheezing." Problem is waaaaaay too many people who work in this state seem to completely ignore the "consider" part. They think it's mandatory, or at least act like it is.

Myself, besides the obvious pathophysiology issues, I've never had a wheezing CHF patient that didn't stop wheezing after nitro and Lasix.

i'll just hook em up to CPAP or something. although I've seen medics treat CHF wheezes with nitro, albuterol, lasix and morphine. one doc in the ER i worked in told me to treat the symptoms and if they are wheezing give them albuterol. I'm not to sure myself
Remember, all that wheezes is not asthma. Look for other signs. Do a thorough assessment of your patient. Do not just give a medication just because your protocols say you can.

Albuterol in CHF?!? I believe this horse is dead. NASA called. They said they can see the boot prints from orbit.
Did this happen in a different thread? Because most of this thread seems to be about the true cause of CHF, rather than the effects albuterol might have on CHF patients.

I'll just say at least one Paramedic school down here is teaching not to give it for "cardiac wheezing" even though it might open up bronchioles a bit, it doesn't outweigh the risk of making your patient's failing heart tachycardic...so they say.

Most of the Drs. I have spoken too say that you can and it does not hurt to do so, especially if they are wheezing. One of the smartest medics I work with told me to use nitro, lasix, and bvm/et as needed. Can someone tell me why there are different points of view on this. I mean is there just not enough data to say one way or the other, or is this one of those things people do as always done regardless of the "new science"?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.