Exceptions to safe ambulance driving rules?

So apparently some people think that we are immune to the laws? Exactly what kind of example are we setting by speeding? It has been shown time and time again in studies that running lights and siren let alone speeding does not save you enough time to warrant the risk involved. We all have to remember that if we do not get there, we are part of the problem, not the solution. Running balls to the wall on the wrong side of the road at break neck speed is old school thinking. Why don't we go back to not wearing gloves too. Back to "The more blood you got on you, the better the run was"kind of thinking. If we want treated like professionals, then we better start acting like ones

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is 84 a problem? I-10 and I-20 in west Texas are posted at 80mph.

If the posted limit is 80. Fine. The condition is already life threatening, why should the ride be life threatening too?

How many have worked with or even said yourself jokingly, that one of the benefits to becoming an EMT is to drive fast? We know that's not a serious reason, but to the general public there is that stigma we need to avoid.

Running balls to the wall on the wrong side of the road at break neck speed is old school thinking.

I'm sorry, I missed that part of the article where the crew was speeding going against traffic. For all we know, the flow of traffic at the time could have been 14 MPH above the speed limit. That doesn't necessarily make it right to take someone else's equipment and violate the law (do it with your own car on your own time), but it isn't "ZOMG lights/sirens" either.

I'm sorry, I missed that part of the article where the crew was speeding going against traffic. For all we know, the flow of traffic at the time could have been 14 MPH above the speed limit. That doesn't necessarily make it right to take someone else's equipment and violate the law (do it with your own car on your own time), but it isn't "ZOMG lights/sirens" either.

Cannonball Run.

Let's be clear about something. Speeding!=driving recklessly. While speeding can be reckless, the fact that the number displayed on the dashboard is above the number on the sign does not make it reckless.

How many have worked with or even said yourself jokingly, that one of the benefits to becoming an EMT is to drive fast? We know that's not a serious reason, but to the general public there is that stigma we need to avoid.

I've always held that if you get tickets or into accidents while speeding, then you're doing something wrong. I've sped prior to becoming an EMT, while I was working as an EMT, and after I finished working as an EMT. Never has being an EMT been an excuse to speed.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know that there was no mention of the crew running against traffic. What I was getting at was that the theory of running in that manner was outdated thinking and behavior.

That is what I don't understand about this big discussion about how speeding is breaking the law. Maybe it is a regional thing, but on the highways around here the flow of traffic is often around 20 km/h over the posted speed limit. I know that that doesn't necessarily make it right, but are there people on here who can honestly say that they have never gone above the posted limit? And in terms of the "it's company policy" argument: is there anyone who has never violated a single company policy?

That is what I don't understand about this big discussion about how speeding is breaking the law. Maybe it is a regional thing, but on the highways around here the flow of traffic is often around 20 km/h over the posted speed limit. I know that that doesn't necessarily make it right, but are there people on here who can honestly say that they have never gone above the posted limit? And in terms of the "it's company policy" argument: is there anyone who has never violated a single company policy?

the issues:

1. Loaded with a patient who is "presumed" to be emergent

2. Speeding without L/S to signal others that they are exceeding the speed limit

14 mph over the speed limit, a violation of county policy and state law that mandates ambulances can only disobey traffic laws in emergency situations with their lights and sirens on.

With a patient in the back, one should observe the rules of the road for ambulances for safety and legal arguements in case of a collision.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.