Exceptions to safe ambulance driving rules?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:roll: Sounds like the administrator (Deputy Barney Fife extrodinaire) should be given a new mode of transportation. Either a Schwinn or Trek bike. Whichever fits the budget better.

Not that the driver of the ambulance was right to be driving w/o lights and sirens for an emergent pt.

If a minute 40 seconds mattered, then the ambulance should have had its lights and sirens on. While I won't necessarily call 14 MPH over the speed limit "dangerous" ("dangerous" depends on total speed, conditions, traffic, etc. Differences in speed between vehicles are much more deadly than the actual speed), it is over the speed limit and in violation of company policy. As such, I don't necessarily see how the administrator was in the wrong.

Another question... was this a highway highway, or one of those "it's technically X highway in this state" type situations? I know a lot of rigs will purposely *not* use L/S on the highway, even for emergent transports, because it throws drivers off and the speed factor is not a good thing.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

^

I pulled it up on google maps and it looks like your standard "bigger than a normal surface street, smaller than a freeway" type roads that connects a bunch of cities/towns together.

As such, I don't necessarily see how the administrator was in the wrong.

He said his intention wasn't to pull the vehicle over, but to get it to slow down.
Cool, I can use that line the next time a cop is behind me, "Sorry, I thought you just wanted me to slow down, not stop!" :roll:

He was using an unmarked vehicle to chase down an ambulance. He wanted to see why they were traveling so fast with out emergency lights, sooooo he chases them down (higher speeds required) with a vehicle that has no emergency lights. :violent1: Next time, maybe he could just use his farking radio if he has a question about an ambulance's assignment. This retread shouldn't be driving anything faster than a desk. If I were working for this ass clown, I'd be handing in my notice.

Oh, please. If 15 MPH over the speed limit resulted in instant death than Southern California as a whole would cease to exist since the average speed is normally around 20 MPH over the speed limit. Besides, there is zero indication that the administrator had a radio in his car that is capable of functioning on the same frequencies that the EMS units normally use. The only reason why I'm even saying that he might have a radio in his car is the bit in the end about him being an incident commander for severe weather problems.

Were there other ways to go about this, and better ways? Sure. That doesn't mean he needs to swing over it. Besides, what good ARE having emergency lights if you don't use them? Why shouldn't the person driving the ambulance resign since he was speeding WITH a patient in the unit?

Oh, please. If 15 MPH over the speed limit resulted in instant death than Southern California as a whole would cease to exist since the average speed is normally around 20 MPH over the speed limit.

Exactly. I don't see the need for him to chase the ambulance down in a pseudo cop car. On the other hand, there aren't many people whose feelings would be hurt by Southern California ceasing to exist.

Besides, there is zero indication that the administrator had a radio in his car that is capable of functioning on the same frequencies that the EMS units normally use.

If he doesn't know how to get a hold of his crews by either radio, phone or nextel, speeding ambulances are not his only problem.

Why shouldn't the person driving the ambulance resign since he was speeding WITH a patient in the unit?

Right or wrong, as you said before, 15 MPH over may not be that uncommon for any vehicle traveling that stretch of road.

Also, the story stated he traveled as high as 14 MPH over the speed limit according to GPS. It's possible that speed was obtained for a short amount of time. I'm not familiar enough with GPS tracking to say how reliable they are at assessing speed. I've had my personal GPS go down below the minimum of tracking satellites and lose direction.

If he was operating outside the company's guidelines (which it sounds like he was), then yes; he needs to be disciplined.

What was the posted speed limit on US 78? 55, 65 or 70? I mean, if he was going 84.. That's a problem.

Why is 84 a problem? I-10 and I-20 in west Texas are posted at 80mph.

Now my opinion is many tend to go way to fast for safe and efficient patient care to be done in the ambulance patient compartment.

But what is a safe speed? Many factors are involved.

1. Can my partner do proper care at the speed I am going?

2. What are the road conditions?

3. Traffic conditions?

4. Ambulance condition? Yes there are pos ambulances that should not be on the road, so drive careful if required to be in one.

5. What is my condition as driver? Enough sleep, etc?

List could go on and on. But honestly the even 10 minutes saved in my 90 mile transports by going faster really makes no difference in 99.9999999999999999% of the patients outcome. And if by going fast for that less than 1% results in my death or injury it is not worth it. Slow down, if they are going to make it they will regardless of how fast you go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.