I have a question can paramedic. not take a pt. to the hosp.

I have question. this happen to my kid.

she work in a assisted living. And she had a pt. that was very sick her sao2 was down in the 80s. And her eyes were swelling shut. And having a hard time breathing. she call for a ambulance and the paramedic came in. And they said she was fine and wasn't going to take this pt to the hospital. It took the RN on call to come in to tell the paramedic that they were.

my question is can you do that. not take a pt?

by the way this is not a bash on paramedic.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia paramedics can exercise discretion and recommend that no transport is required. Were looking into extended care paramedics who are specially trained to respond to minor calls and perform such tasks as dislocation manipulation, suturing, minor prescription type medication ect to reduce the impact on emergency departments.

As far as your question is concerned the patient appears to be in physiological stress which warrants further investigation and transport.

When you say that SP02 is low, there localized swelling around the eyes, were having respiratory problems and generally unwell it may indication some form of allergic reaction or infection either way it’s evident that referral is needed.

Was there any reasoning behind why they didn’t transport?

Texas allows medical directors to establish guidelines for denying transport. Sadly because of lawsuits most make you transport everything. At one of my services I deny transport, at the other you call I am required to haul.

As case is described I think you do not have entire story, in fact sounds very inaccurate. No RN will ever overturn my decision not to transport. I even tell doctors no if their patient does not need ambulance.

As others have described, usually one will take a patient to the hospital (its much easier) but there has been times, when after talking to medical control that they have denied me to transport (physician had seen patient earlier).

It sounds like other have pointed out, you may not have the full story. Yes, there are horrible Paramedics, but for the sake lets not assume that. Maybe the Sp02 was not accurate, eyes swollen shut? Having a reaction, allergies?... Did they already administer treatment such as Benadryl before arrival? Again, too many variables..

Not saying it is not 100% accurate, but really a RN (even a physician) cannot order me or any of my crew to do anything. It takes a physician going through my medical control to do so. This is where I wonder where the stories may be exaggerated...

R/r 911

I have question. this happen to my kid.

she work in a assisted living. And she had a pt. that was very sick her sao2 was down in the 80s. And her eyes were swelling shut. And having a hard time breathing. she call for a ambulance and the paramedic came in. And they said she was fine and wasn't going to take this pt to the hospital. It took the RN on call to come in to tell the paramedic that they were.

my question is can you do that. not take a pt?

by the way this is not a bash on paramedic.

8-[ Grammar cannot be understated....is this intentional??

Maybe I put too much emphasis on literacy, but...... :dontknow: :banghead:

I have gotten three refusals at a nursing homes already...... "Pt being annoying to us and wont shut up" Is not a chief complaint.....

[

8-[ Grammar cannot be understated....is this intentional??

Maybe I put too much emphasis on literacy, but...... :dontknow: :banghead:

Given that the original poster is the same individual that started the last volunteer vs. paid flamefest and then disappeared, I'd maintain a high degree of suspicion that it is intentional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.