Music in the Rig

Most rigs do have CD players now, or at least a radio which can be piped to the back. I found that playing music, especially of Interstate transfers are appreciated by both the patient and whoever is in the back. Of course played low.

Once had a patient in the ER with a large femoral artery aneurism. He refused to go unless he could listen to the ball game. So we made sure the radio was working. It was, then he insisted on buying us something to eat while en-route since he found out our meal was interrupted when they called us for immediate transport. He was able to listen to the game, but we didn't stop to get something to eat. We didn't mind. He was actually pretty cool.

I know some are against any kind of music in the back. How about any of y'all?

Now I know I'm guilty of "jamming", especially listening to KSHE out of St.Louis, with the music off in the back and the door closed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually have Sirius radio in our rigs and yes, been guilty of turning the volume up to ridiculous levels (adding to my hearing loss), but always making sure I can hear my radio. If it's during a response or there is a patient in the back, it needs to be kept down! Not only for the comfort of your patients, but for you and your partners safety.

When running an intercept - and having that gut feeling that it's going to be a train wreck - having some rocking music up really loud helps defray the nerves. It has to be by mutual consent tho - generally the senior person on the rig sets the station and the volume. No music with a patient in the back.

We had to drive to St.Louis to pick up a rig. When I was driving behind Randy on the way back I could see him jamming, and I knew he was listening to the same station I was. We were both jamming out.

I don't mind any music at all as long as everyone is on the same page. I have just one stipulation. Absolutely no static. It drives me nuts. If there is a lot of static, I tell my partner there are two options: 1. get off the channel with the static (change channel or go to CD), or 2. turn the radio off.

I like having music in the buggy especially if a long distance transfer. If it's gonna be on in the back with the patient though, I'll ask the patient what they like. Hey, they gonna be listening to. I've done transfers with everything from bluegrass to heavy metal. My partner and I are both contemporary country people, so the radio tends to stay on that the majority of the time. If I tell ya shut it off though and I'm in back, shut the window and kill the back and have fun. With previous partners though, I've had fun even as far as going into a particularly ghetto section of town and we were playin some rap station (don't ask why). Guy walked up and was like, "hey let me hear that" so we put it on PA and piped it to their basketball game. Was cool with them and us. Bottom line, be considerate but have fun. Be safe !

I can assume only that some people genuinely do not realize how painful some other people find unwelcome sounds and vibrations, so they don't realize that imposing them on their neighbors or coworkers is unfair and unkind. Forcing those sensations on captive, helpless audiences already suffering medical emergencies looks downright cruel. I feel sorry for both the perpetrators and their victims.

I can assume only that some people genuinely do not realize how painful some other people find unwelcome sounds and vibrations, so they don't realize that imposing them on their neighbors or coworkers is unfair and unkind. Forcing those sensations on captive, helpless audiences already suffering medical emergencies looks downright cruel. I feel sorry for both the perpetrators and their victims.

:D Sorry I left my sarcastic smiley out of my post. I do not listen to music when I have a patient as I do not want to miss something important about them or their condition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.