The madness of idling?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya'll are missing the point. Dynamic deployment means that units are out at specific posts and not tied down at a station during the shift. Having those units out on the road, ideally closer to expected call demand cuts down response time. It also cuts down on "out of chute" time that can be two or more min's coming out of a station.

Ya'll are missing the point.

This bugs me to no end. It's "Y'all". Not "Ya'll". Please get it right.

Dynamic deployment means that units are out at specific posts and not tied down at a station during the shift. Having those units out on the road, ideally closer to expected call demand cuts down response time. It also cuts down on "out of chute" time that can be two or more min's coming out of a station.

Except it doesn't work. There is no evidence to suggest it works. It's all a guessing game. You were asked once to provide evidence to support your stance that this is better and you have failed to do so. You then asked to stick to the topic at hand and then dragged this back into the discussion.

Provide the evidence to back it up or leave it out.

What's more, if you can't get out of your station within a minute or two, then you have larger issues than whether or not turning your truck off is a worthwhile issue to debate with your employers.

-be safe

StCommodore wrote "Ya'll are missing the point. Dynamic deployment means that units are out at specific posts and not tied down at a station during the shift. Having those units out on the road, ideally closer to expected call demand cuts down response time...."

With all due respect, I think you're missing the point. You've been brainwashed by your company! The point of "dynamic deployment" (never heard that before! love it! :D ) is to save your company from renting stations for you guys. It's great that now their having to pay lots more for gas.

Except it doesn't work. There is no evidence to suggest it works. It's all a guessing game.

Provide the evidence to back it up or leave it out.

I don't have any actual documentation, and am speaking anicdotally (spelling?).

The FDNY EMS, and the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS before it, have been using "staging" on street corners for longer than I have been in the department, and that is over 23 years. Perhaps we have something? The department has even updated it several times.

Admittedly, it could be an attitude by those in charge, of "Why futz with something that works (or at least seems to be working)?"

Admittedly, it could be an attitude by those in charge, of "Why futz with something that works (or at least seems to be working)?"

I think it's more along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Never let it be said that the progress in the fire department was ever impeded by tradition. :roll: :lol:

What's more, I think FDNY does it simply so the FFs don't have to deal with EMS crews. What better way to segregate your employees, create an atmosphere of "separate and unequal", and essentially develop a caste system within the organization?

-be safe

Ya'll are missing the point. Dynamic deployment means that units are out at specific posts and not tied down at a station during the shift. Having those units out on the road, ideally closer to expected call demand cuts down response time. It also cuts down on "out of chute" time that can be two or more min's coming out of a station.

The service I work at has "Dynamic Deployment," we flex from station to station, its the same as curbside deployment, except we actually have stations where there is the expectation of higher call volumes, not just a dirty curb to park beside.

Let me pose this question. If curbside deployment is so wonderful, why doesn't the Fire Dept get on board?

re: chute times

I can be woken at 2am by the tones and be enroute in 2mins from our station. The call logs prove this out. If I have to pee, it may stretch to 3mins. :lol:

re: staging fire apparatus

OMG, I'd love to see that! Can you imagine the uproar?

I think it's more along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Never let it be said that the progress in the fire department was ever impeded by tradition. :roll: :D

After the merger, even the fire fighters were saying the FDNY was 100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress, but the street corner "staging" of EMS was started way over 11 years before the merger. As I already said (somewhere), EMS was doing this before I came on board (11 years prior to the merger).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.