Fake Paramedic busted in CO...after 17 months!

Amr is still saying they did not know until they recheck his creds,His partner was on tv the other night, stated that he himself and others that worked with this guy wondered about his skills...Response here among EMSAC members is to get the state to make that a Felony for impersonation just like a Police Officer or Fire Fighter.

Amr is still saying they did not know until they recheck his creds,His partner was on tv the other night, stated that he himself and others that worked with this guy wondered about his skills...Response here among EMSAC members is to get the state to make that a Felony for impersonation just like a Police Officer or Fire Fighter.

It should be a Felony.

Only 17 months? We had a guy in michigan for one of the services who forged his medic license for 13 years. He went through the medic class but could not pass the NR exam. So he made his own license and gave it to his employer. Worse part about this is, the employer didn't bother to check the online lookup to validate, verify his license. The only reason that they found out about it, is because one of the other medics let his lapse inadvertently, and he notified them about his situation, so they fired him for no license, so they decided to audit everyone elses license, and found the other medic's license was no good. Sad thing about it was he was a damn good medic. I don't know what ever happened with him, except that last I knew he was trying to take another EMT class, probably to get his medic again.

and it's amazing what you can do with Photoshop or another good document editing piece of software.

i'll bet that AMR didn't have a clue. With 2-4 even 6 year renewal cycles it's not surprising that he got away with it for that long.

it should be a felony, due to striking a emt / paramedic in the state of pa is striking a public official.

This isnt about beating the hell out of an EMT...its about pretending to be one. Since medics are trained and licensed to do drug intervention, it should be a felony...practicing medicine without a license...just like it would be for any doctor/nurse/etc.

(Im not a real EMT, but I play one in chat!)

Whoa, I don't even know what to say to this. It's unbelievable, but this isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last I imagine. A friend of mine's department recently had two people trying to pull the same stunt. Can we say EMS needs more medical oversight? The first thing that happens at my dept is your cert is checked against the state for any infractions period. Is also done at every recert which is two years here. I can't believe this guy made it 17 months. AMR is trying to get a hold here, but they face some pretty good competition, so I really don't see it happening. I just wonder what legal ramifications (if any) it sounds will be made from families of patients that this guy treated. Did his falsification lead to deadly mistakes? Never mind DEA issues. The guy was handling narcs ? Makes me rethink this whole idea of "professionalism"....

Whoa, I don't even know what to say to this. It's unbelievable, but this isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last I imagine. A friend of mine's department recently had two people trying to pull the same stunt. Can we say EMS needs more medical oversight? The first thing that happens at my dept is your cert is checked against the state for any infractions period. Is also done at every recert which is two years here. I can't believe this guy made it 17 months. AMR is trying to get a hold here, but they face some pretty good competition, so I really don't see it happening. I just wonder what legal ramifications (if any) it sounds will be made from families of patients that this guy treated. Did his falsification lead to deadly mistakes? Never mind DEA issues. The guy was handling narcs ? Makes me rethink this whole idea of "professionalism"....

All AMR has to do is to underbid your contracts, buy your company or any number of other things and you are history. Trust me, I've seen it happen in countless places. There is a certain amount of money everyone will take and if AMR wants the area bad enough they will somehow provide that figure to the current ambulance providers.

No matter what anyone says, they can be bought and I've seen it happen when it comes to AMR countless times.

AMR tried to buy us out twice and our director told them "I hate you, you're incompetent, go away !" and yes we did hear those exact words come out of his mouth ! I was impressed. There's also the issue of no fire coverage if we leave as in many areas considering most of us double for fire and wouldn't be too thrilled taking away our paying jobs. We're a private company on county contract, but also do fire coverage, so they would be left with sparse volunteer coverage and that wouldn't fly. It's a very rural area and with us they have a dependable response. They tried us being just EMS based previously and it didn't work out well, so I don't see them selling out, but like you said, who knows?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.