EMS worker's imbalances in perception..Taken from Asy's blog

We develop some impatience, both with people not getting to the point or with people not taking action right away.

I imagine as with cops, there's some traits that come and based on time on the job...as a new police cadet I got royally pissed off everytime I saw someone doing something stupid in their cars almost in a self-righteous way...after awhile, I just learned that's the way the world was...sure cite them to curb the behavior, then move on.

I'm curious about similar behaviors for EMS personnel.

P.S. : Basewarming greetings - enjoy the food.

ROFL! :lol:

I had no idea that AK was so talented! Dude, you been holding out on us!

I have no clue what the video is as I can not access that link, but coming from Asy I am sure it is full of wit and humor.

There have been many great responses, some accurate, some reaching.

Some of the responses did not seem to actually get to what I perceived to be the intent of the question.

By this I mean some of the responses described some behaviors such as disucssing a call in a restaraunt. This seems to me to be nothing more than loose lips, not being aware of your surroundings or your company.

When I first read this question, I took it to a much more deeper level, internalized it more. I actually sat back and gave thought to many of my personal behaviors, beliefs and actions and tried to imagine how they would be if I never were in EMS. Had I never set foot on an ambulance, how would my life be different? How would my beliefs be different?

Did EMS make me into who I am, shape me over the years, or was I already that person who found a job that fit what I was and then allowed myself to grow in certain directions because I was in a field which fostered what it was I felt or believed?

Its quite the challenge to think of these things and be honest with yourself. A few of you (three to be precise) know me well enough to know I have issues with being honest or true to myself, however I am working on that. I am following my path to what I know at this time to be best for myself....or am I? :lol::D

As for the question at hand, "what are the imbalances in perception", I am sure I have my fair share, we all do.

But as the old cliche goes, Perception IS Reality, therefore how can my perceptions be seen as an imbalance? It is my reality. What is right for me definitely is not right for others, but that does not matter, does it?

I will add more later, just being distracted at the moment and not able to give 100% attention. I hope my ramblings made some sort of sense...

I'm amazed at the pervasiveness of arrogance among EMS providers. Although, I haven't been able to determine if that's a personality trait present before becoming a prehospital provider or something that develops with experience. Given that I've seen it in brand new basics I'm inclined to think that it's the former but I can't say for sure.

With that arrogance comes a very visible disdain for those in possession of a higher level of education (or anyone who may be perceived as "better than me"). Unfortunately, this is demonstrated in very vocal shouting down of others not seen to be in agreement with the masses. In fact, those who are most vocal in their contempt seem to be the ones claiming to not need the extra education (not being limited to medically related education...college level education of any type fits this discussion). Is it jealousy? Is it regret? Is it something else?

This also ties in to a few who do possess college level degrees. They feel some insatiable need to flaunt their achievement but only as a tool to belittle their peers, colleagues and coworkers.

All of this, I think, ties into a very serious and deep seated insecurity many EMS-ers have. This stems from several origins and isn't limited to lack of respect shown the profession, poor educational standards and underlying personality (but could be addressed if more and broader educational standards were required).

Of course, these are generalizations and don't apply to everyone. Don't think, however, that my cynicism doesn't play into the larger issue of personality traits common in EMS.

Just a thought.

-be safe

You tend to be more aware of what people are doing when there is a potential for injury. Seeing someone hot-rodding or doing some stupid stunt you think to yourself, "There's the next EMS call." And when you notice someone is obviously not feeling well you sort of watch them from a distance in case they get worse.

You prepare yourself for anything and everything, then hope nothing happens.

Perception IS Reality, therefore how can my perceptions be seen as an imbalance? It is my reality. What is right for me definitely is not right for others, but that does not matter, does it?

If perception were always reality, no perception would be amenable to correction, because no perception would ever have been mistaken.

If perception were always reality, the term "correction" would hold no meaning, because there would never be anything to correct; no standard of truth outside one's particular impressions, to which one's impressions might conform or from which they might diverge.

If perception were always reality, the term "Ouch!" would hold no meaning.

But since the study and practice of medicine suggest that the term "Ouch!" - the sound of reality correcting a (mis-)perception* - holds meaning, I would submit that perceptions are indeed capable of diverging from reality.

Of course, I could be wrong about that.

No, wait, if I were wrong about it, I'd be right...

*Such as: That ladder will hold my weight; I can squeeze by that truck; one more taco won't hurt me...

I am have been catching myself looking at peoples arms. Seeing if I had to get a IV, where I would go.

Since I am in Florida, and not man people wear long pants or shoes, when I see an elderly person, I look for the pedal edema, or signs of diminished circulation. Long lasting skin wounds, and bruises seem to stand out to me.

As a fireman, I look for exits, always having 2 ways out, fire pull stations, sprinklers, extinguishers, what type of construction the structure is, how I would do a search, etc.

From working in an urban area, and taking lessons from ACPD, I don't trust people with their hands in their pockets, or just acting "hinky". That 6th sense that tells you something is up with that person, but you just don't know what....

If perception were always reality, no perception would be amenable to correction, because no perception would ever have been mistaken.

Yes, but it is my perception, not yours; so it could be mistaken, right? And who says that perception or even reality is constant and not amenable?

For example, I could respect or trust someone enough ( I know, near impossible), and allow that person to suggest my perception may be inaccurate or skewed, and allow them to suggest an alternative reality.

If perception were always reality, the term "correction" would hold no meaning, because there would never be anything to correct; no standard of truth outside one's particular impressions, to which one's impressions might conform or from which they might diverge.

I perceive this to be a very deep thought and my reality says I addressed it above, but I may be incorrect. What does your perception indicate?

If perception were always reality, the term "Ouch!" would hold no meaning.

Does it hold any meaning now? To me it does not, as it is too subjective of a term. I do not use people's varying levels of "ouch" to gauge my perception of their reality. I use other physical cues such as eye contact and body language, mainly because "ouch" has no relevance to me in my reality. It means something entirely different to me, I percieve it to be far less severe than what they may be trying to convey.

But since the study and practice of medicine suggest that the term "Ouch!" - the sound of reality correcting a (mis-)perception* - holds meaning, I would submit that perceptions are indeed capable of diverging from reality.

Of course, I could be wrong about that.

Me too! And I could be totally filled with BS at the moment, sure sounds that way.

No, wait, if I were wrong about it, I'd be right...

*Such as: That ladder will hold my weight; I can squeeze by that truck; one more taco won't hurt me...

My replies above in bold....AK

For the record, I responded yesterday in depth, with really long, impressive replies. I was amazed I wrote some of the things I did as they seemed to be on a higher level which I never perceived myself capable of. Then I walked away before proof reading and submitting and my computer shut down and all was lost.

Today I have made another attempt and know this response pales in comparison.

Oh well, the original is always best.

I do not perceive myself capable of holding this type of discussion on the same level as displayed by Michael but I sure as hell am going to try. :)

I think that in EMS sometimes the Imperfections that we face are sometimes dealt to us by the general public. They see all the bad press about EMS workers the negitive side but it never gets balanaced out with the postitive.

The public will remember the bad long before they do the good, for example EMS workers save family of 5 from horrible car accident.

but let this happen at the same time, Area EMS worker seen leaving Crack house.

The public is gonna believe and remember the last one long before they praise the first one. Which in THEIR reality makes us all look like a bunch of crackheads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.