My certification is on the line!

xaby

However, about two weeks ago, I had to take the skills exam, given by my instructor. I passed all of the stations up to trauma and medical left. During the trauma assessment, I had to check the patient’s circulation. My instructor asked me where are the three places to find a pulse (excluding anything on the neck since the patient has a collar on). I go for the radial, then brachial. I was a bit confused with the next place to find a pulse. He hinted to where it was. I then went to the femoral artery. Now, he asked me what the pulse rate on the trauma patient’s femoral artery would be. I honestly did not know what it was. He told me that if I don’t answer and get it correctly, that he’d fail me right there. I took a wild guess and didn’t get it right.

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but pulse rate is pulse rate is pulse rate. Now, if he'd asked what the palpable B.P would be since that varies with location, I could see this, but not H/R. In my professional opinion, you got jerked around. Push this to the limit and then some. If this is an example of this guys teaching method, others deff. need to know and be made aware of it.

FWIW: I was taught to do my detailed head/neck assessment before collaring as part of my initial rapid trauma assessment because once that collar goes on, that's it - you can't access the neck from then on.

But someone else made a good point: you folks don't use c-collars with openings in the front?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I apologize for not updating on the situation.

Raistlin and I are still trying to get our certifications. We called our city councilman to help us in our situation. About a week later, we were told to meet up with an administrator from the organization that runs the program in our school in order to give our side of the story for the investigation. At the very least, Raistlin and I were able to fill out forms for registration just in case the state saw that our instructor had indeed pulled things that were not legally sound and would allow us a chance at a retesting of some sort.

I've been reflecting on other courses of action that Raistlin and I can take for this problem. I am planning on visiting my school some time in the near future to let them know of the situation. Unfortunately, due to my collge schedule, it's been difficult to find an open amount of time to do this. Also, perhaps a petition of some sort or having several other people complain about the same issue to the DOH may also help? And, if worse comes to worst, maybe at the very least (though it seems ridiculously unnecessary), we can take the course again in the form of a refresher.

I cannot--and will--not shrug this off. You can't just hand someone the remote control to your life's path when all they're going to do is flip through channels and pick the one that they want. Even if this whole thing turns out to become a complete failure, I'm still going to do what I can to get my certification.

This is a great community and I'm very happy to have come across it; you're good people! Thanks again for everything and I'll keep you guys updated.

I don't think it's really safe for us to reveal the location of the school just yet, but it's in New York City.

I had another question, though. More like asking your opinions, actually. Obviously it's been a very long time since Raistlin and I took this course. Even if given the opportunity to retake the practical and written exams, we would have a lot of reviewing to do. Basically I'm asking, what do you guys think is the best way for him and I to do that? I remember seeing a pretty good video on how the practical exam is carried out and I really wanted access to it. I heard the Barron's review book for the EMT-B test isn't very helpful, though. I still have my notes from class.

On a side note, I'm still glad I took this course. I created my own mini-EMT kit with dressings, stethoscope, etc. It comes in pretty handy at home or elsewhere when little accidents happen and I'm just happy I know how to properly wrap a dressing on an injury. So, I've still got my enthusiasm for this field. :)

Thats the ticket, my friend. We fight the good fight, regardless of whether a figurehead with a big brother complex decides to keep us on an arbitrary short leash. The EMT community's support has done much for keeping up my confidences and pursuing this through every branch of bureaucracy thats come along the way. Thanks guys, and we're gonna carry this to the end!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, another update on what's going on. Raistlin and I may get a retest, soon. Given that this may happen, him and I need to start preparing again for the practical exam. Any advice on the best place to look at to study off of for it?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.