Why doesn't my life work like this?

Michael

That must be why whenever I see two cars waiting to turn at a red light with alternating turn signals, eventually they will ALWAYS synchronize. I thought I was nuts. :?

We've always thought you were nuts...

I think the turn signals appear to synchronize because of the slightly different speeds that they flash...though if you sit long enough you would see that it's actually a transient effect...they don't stay that way.

On the bottles as well, they don't sync until he puts them on the movable base...I'm thinking the movement of the base adds and subtracts energy with it's movements forcing all of the pendulums to sync...

But then again...I'm no physicist, so I could just be talking out my butt.... :lol:

Dwayne

Some of the energy from the metronome pendulums is being transmitted to the board, causing it to move a bit on the cans as they roll a little bit. The table top doesn't transmit that energy.

The motion is working both for and against the pendulum's motion, eventually forcing all of them into the exact same beat.

As for the turn signals? I have several "strobies" from Radio Shack, previously used as my "Whacker" emergency lights (why not, they are low co$t, compared to the Galls catalog?). When run, each goes to it's own "beat", but at various times, they will flash at the same time. Wait a few moments, and they are exactly opposite each other. It is all in your perception.

You guys are missing the point completely! The is no scientific explanation for what you saw - rather, it was simply the urge of the metronomes to fit into the society of metronomes, once they were isolated by the pop cans. I can't believe you have failed to do your research into the social urges of these oft-misunderstood creatures!

it was simply the urge of the metronomes to fit into the society of metronomes, once they were isolated by the pop cans. I can't believe you have failed to do your research into the social urges of these oft-misunderstood creatures!

Uh...metronomes are nearer to R2D2, C3PO, the "Lost In Space" robot, the Daystrom M5 computer, the Colossus computer, the Knight Industries Two (and Three) Thousand cars (KITT), my "Atomic" alarm clock, and my now seldom used 10 speed bicycle, than members of any social societal grouping. They have no real sense of community, or social urges.

Now, Dr Soong's creations, Data and Lore? They have a sense of community, although Lore is more than a bit anti social, while Data wants to be Pinocchio, and become a human.

Would you like to play a game?

You guys are missing the point completely! The is no scientific explanation for what you saw - rather, it was simply the urge of the metronomes to fit into the society of metronomes, once they were isolated by the pop cans. I can't believe you have failed to do your research into the social urges of these oft-misunderstood creatures!

ROFL! Simple Group Psychology 101! How could I have fogotten? :lol:

You've obviously thought more about it than I have. I have yet to get past pondering if the metronomes actually exist, or if they are simply figments of my imagination. I mean after all, if they are just figments of our imaginations, then why bother thinking about them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.