Not sure if its for me...

I hold more respect for those that realize their limitations and stay within them,

Exactly why LS no longer argues with me...he's finally realized his limitations....

(Note: for the uninitiated, LS and I both know I'm full of ka ka...)(Ok, not really, but don't tell him I said so...Shhhhhh)

Dwayne

VCmedic I would suggest take a little time off, not long though. Then find a place with a good reputation that is a slow service. See if you can just do some ride out time with them. This will help you see if you really are just not cut out for EMS or if you are just disgusted with the environment you were in.

How to find a good service in reasonable drive distance? Probably some on here would be able to point you the right way.

Now if you decide you still are interested in EMS you could do that and run your business to. Many have small businesses that help them survive the low pay we have in EMS.

Exactly why LS no longer argues with me...he's finally realized his limitations....

(Note: for the uninitiated, LS and I both know I'm full of ka ka...)(Ok, not really, but don't tell him I said so...Shhhhhh)

Dwayne

So THAT'S why you've got brown eyes! Now it all makes perfect sense!

I too started early. I became an EMT-A (B other places), the summer between my Jr. and Sr. years in high school. Actually made my first run the day before my 18th birthday, the State gave me the one day. I can honestly say that starting out young may not be the best way for everyone. I look back now and don't know if it was the best way to get started. And like some others have said, EMS is not for everyone that wants to do it. Like a lot of people want to be an astronaut, but they can't. Same as in EMS and/ or Firefighting. I think your location has a lot to do with it, not the best place to start. If you are really determined you may want to think of relocating. But I'm telling you now, lack of sleep, being over-worked and under-paid, exhaustion, adrenaline highs and lows, long hours, it's all part of it. If you don't think you can tolerate these things, then EMS is not for you. And there is no shame in it at all. Just be proud that you became an EMT and attempted a career in it.

Anytime you need to vent or need advice, don't hesitate to post-up.

VC, I feel for you, man. I'm sorry to hear the state of LA County EMS, but from the way you describe it, it makes my system seem not so bad. We may have problems with our FF's, but I don't think we've gotten to fistfights. My old partner once threatened to stab a Fire lieutenant in the face with an intubation blade, but that was a rarity and the guy really deserved it.

Anyway, as I said, I feel for you. I'm at a period in my career where I'm not sure how much more I can take, I'm at the point where I am not so much regretting my decision to become a paramedic and get into EMS, but just wondering if I could not have spent the time far more productively.

The worse thing is that all in all I've had a pretty good career in EMS. I've been at the worst terrorist attack in US history, I brought an 18 year old girl back to life, I've done aviation accidents and been on security details with senators and dignitaries. I've done just about every single procedure and protocol we have written, and I am still at a point where I am starting to dread going into work in the morning and my (legal) pharmacological intake has increased dramatically.

I think any large city with Fire involvement in EMS has the same problems you and I face. Single role providers are regulated to playing ghetto-clinic-shuttle for the Medicaid dough while Fire gets to swoop in, pose for some pictures, and go back to their cute little houses when people need help. It is this situation that sets you and I up for a field where our profession becomes second class citizens to people universally recognized as heroes. Its not a good feeling and its not a good position to be in.

I guess all I can really say is that if you get out of LA County, sure, maybe things will be better, but IMHO, not exceptionally so. You'll always have assholes on scene, always, I mean, seriously, I think the major requirement sometimes for being a cop or a fireman is being a major league asshole, and no matter where you go, if you work the 911 system, you will have them on scene. Also, in case you haven't noticed, EMT's and paramedics can be a bunch of assholes as well.

If you want to be a fireman, all I can say is honestly, the need for firemen in the world is small and rapidly dwindling. Its like steam locomotive engineers, it would be a great job, but the need for them ain't so much anymore. You'll be lucky to find the position, it will take you a long time, a lot of energy, and there is the distinct possibility you will be working with a bunch of assholes who have tattoos of Warner Brother's cartoons on them and wear their sunglasses indoors.

If you are one of those rare souls who really like working EMS, your job prospects are better, but still, the chance of you finding a meaningful, rewarding position in EMS are very slim. You'll also find that especially at the paramedic level, the risk starts to outweigh the reward really, really rapidly. Its one thing to pull off procedures that would have an ER attending doing a Hail Mary before attempting, its another to do it in the back of a van with a guy who's last job was working at Dairy Queen and who has less training than a forklift operator. Given the risk of infection, lawsuit, and just plain getting injured, you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. Stay strong, and, well, FDNY EMS is always hiring. :lol:

Asysin2leads, thank you for your reply. Everyone who has replied I thank you for your time. At this point in my life where I have no family to feed, just myself, and don't need to settle for a life career just yet, I am going to pursue a different goal I have opted for and see how that goes and really just try to find myself. I would love to keep the option open for later in life. That being said, can anyone help me with information on keeping my P number while out of service? Is it mandatory to keep working to keep it? I am going to put in a call to the registry and talk to them about my options but I would like to hear everyone's input and suggestions. Thanks again guys and gals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.