EMS "bunker" type gear.

Does anyone else have a set of this?

In Jersey, where by law, we were required to have a "bunker" type coat or jacket on the ambulance. I managed to bargain myself a good deal for a set of Globe EMS gear, non custom, off the shelf kinda stuff, but hey, its water proof, Nomex, and fits. What else can ya ask for?

When I moved (back) to Florida, and I brought it on my clinicals, I was met by surprise, and somewhat of a Rescue Ricky response from the crew, who, incidently, wore bunker gear on all their MVCs. :roll:

So, who else has it, and what are your opinions of it?

There is potential for abuse by the wackers, but like anything else, it is a tool for us to protect our selves.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved (back) to Florida, and I brought it on my clinicals, I was met by surprise, and somewhat of a Rescue Ricky response from the crew, who, incidently, wore bunker gear on all their MVCs. :roll:

Wait... they were wearing it, but gave you the stink-eye for wearing it yourself? WTF is that all about? :?

Although it was pretty rare to actually need it, I did carry my own bunker coat on the ambulance even after leaving the fire service. You can't beat those things for durability and visibility. Even though it was rare I actually ever wore it, it's sure nice to have around. But if you have the choice between blowing a couple hundred bucks on a bunker coat or body armour, I think only an idiot would choose the bunker coat.

Wait... they were wearing it, but gave you the stink-eye for wearing it yourself? WTF is that all about? :?

Although it was pretty rare to actually need it, I did carry my own bunker coat on the ambulance even after leaving the fire service. You can't beat those things for durability and visibility. Even though it was rare I actually ever wore it, it's sure nice to have around. But if you have the choice between blowing a couple hundred bucks on a bunker coat or body armour, I think only an idiot would choose the bunker coat.

Come on Dust, I am pretty sure you know what FD I am talking about here... high turnover, burnout among their "FireMedics"

I assume that they were expecting the usual wide-eyed, fresh from EMT school, but not yet possessing a card, just outta the Fire Academy, and still doesn't have the first clue about anything Medic Student. Yet another reason I am in favor of actually working in the field prior to becoming a Medic.

I was fortunate in the sense that my uncle is an officer on a PD in Jersey, and assisted me in locating :wink: a bullet resistant vest. It saw heavy use when I worked AC EMS, but I am lucky to not have put it on since I got back.

Depends on what kind of gear you need.. If I hear "bunker gear", I think structural firefighting gear. If you're not fighting structure fires, IMO, you don't need gear to do so. A good set of NFPA approved extrication gear (pants/coat) or (coveralls/jumpsuit) should be fine. However, the company provides an extrication suit/helmet/boots/goggles and extrication gloves for rescue and EMS personnel.

I find full TOG difficult to work in, on the ambo; or while extricating someone. Could just be me..

Does anyone else have a set of this?

In Jersey, where by law, we were required to have a "bunker" type coat or jacket on the ambulance. I managed to bargain myself a good deal for a set of Globe EMS gear,

If you're required by law to have it, we do you need to purchase it? The service you work for should be providing bunker gear.

Never mind, I neglected to note the Jersey thing. My bad :(.

Forget those guys. There's numerous times I've worked accidents that something beyond the uniform coat I was issued was nessecary. Not sure why you had to buy it, but we had a FD here that you had to supply your own TO's. But that was a small ghetto city with no money. When my special events company did 911 (for the short time that they did) they were issued globe extrication coats as uniform and those were nice. I wish I was on the 911 side long enough to get one.

I found out quickly that having bunker gear was important. For EMS only it doesn't have to be fire rated, but it's nice if it is. If your on a budget you can get it for less if it's only Duct-material. When you are also doing rescue you never know what kind of situation you may get into.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.