Hawaii

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. As long as your school (which one?) will allow you to finish their requirements elsewhere, there's nothing wrong with that. Most schools around DFW only require that around fifteen hours be from their institution, but don't specify which hours they have to be. Unfortunately, only one of the colleges here has a Nationally Accredited programme, even though a couple others are decent schools.

If you're ever going to go to exotic places and check it out, now is the time, when you're young and single. Cost of living is SUPER high in HI, but that's manageable as a low-maintenance single person. It's funny that you are considering Canadia too though. Talk about VAST differences, lol!

I notice you are wearing an Acadian uniform. You can live alot better in Texas on what Acadian pays than what AMR would pay in HI. Even in Austin. If I wasn't so close to retirement, I'd jump on their 20k bonus for the Austin area. But you are young. Got for it.

I go to Brookhaven in Farmers Branch. They say I have done the acceptable amount of hours and everything should transfer, and transfer back. I think I can manage the cost of living with the income, I have found many apartments is Kona anywhere from 700-1000 most are furnished and all bills paid.

Yes lol I know it seems really strange, Hawaii and Canada... complete opposites, but equally as attractive in their own ways.

Acadian is an awesome company to work for yes, lol but you cant beat the location AMR is offering. :P

Thanks Vivi! I really need the reminder of how old I am. :P

I can remember getting up to change the channel ( I realise this is foreign to most of you ) at 20:00 every Wednesday night so my Dad could watch it. I of course, had to get ready for bed being a school night. :roll:

Atrox Charmer, good Luck in Hawaii. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks Vivi! I really need the reminder of how old I am. :lol:

Not only can I play every note of that song on the kazoo WITHOUT sheet music, but I also know all the words! :P

Seriously, we played that song in high school band, haha!

I go to Brookhaven in Farmers Branch.

That's what I thought when I first saw the ugly grey polo shirt. Brookhaven is a pretty good school, even if it is unaccredited and run by a firemonkey. They've got some great, non-fire instructors that make up for it. I did a refresher there two and a half years ago, and was relatively impressed with most of the staff. Great facility. They've still got some growing to do, but I think they're well on their way. TCC has them beat by a long shot, but they've also been around twenty years longer. I think you'll find, as you work different places, that your educational preparation compares quite favourably to others. Especially if you already have your basic sciences (A&P, microbiology) done. I'd like to see Brookhaven go strictly degreed and drop the certificate program altogether. It would go a long way to improving their status. But it isn't likely to happen in Dallas County, where the 6-month medic mill for wannabe firemonkeys rules supreme.

I worked with a medic from Hawaii in Iraq, and he was pretty good. Unfortunately, I lost contact with him when he went home after his tour, or I'd get you in touch with him for some advice. I'll see if I can locate him.

LOL, I am going to fing that song on limewire, it is so popular, I need to catch up.

This is true about Brookhaven, I did my Paramedic coarse first and under Campbell as my instructor who is also a firefighter in FB. He was very difficult and hard to get along with. Also another thing I didnt like about the program was the lack of help from my classmates. I feel that it is a team effort and everyone should pull together just as we do in the field. Not in my class, if you werent in the "click" you diddnt get help. I was completely alone, if it hadnt been for my husbands dedication, I would have never made it. I am thankful I got through their paramedic first though before finishing my other coarses because I am able to support myself much better than on my EMT salary... :?

Thank you for the thought of your friend though Dustdevil, I would have loved to talk with him. Thats quite alright though no worries! :)

I'm getting my EMS degree at TCC currently. Love the school and the instructors. The Medic program is 1 1/2 years for certificate only. To get your degree add another couple of semesters to that. It's a long program but it certainly beats ANY other around here. Not only are the classes great but the instructors don't BS you into thinking you can do this or do that, go here or there, or make this amount of money.

............ok, no real point to all of that, just giving props to my peeps!

Good luck though on the Hawaii thing and getting all of your classes taken care of. If you need any help with anything I'm right down the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.