Hawaii

Good morning everyone! I am going through the hiring process for AMR Hawaii, I should have an answer in about 1-2 weeks if I got the job. I was hoping yall might be able to give me any information possible about EMS there, cost of living, general info, etc? I am trying to plan for the move as best as possible and praying about every hour that I land the job lol. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost of living is high. If pay is not great you are in for a very limited existence in paradise. Friends of mine moved there and never got to enjoy it as every penny they made went to survive. They lasted two years and are back in New Mexico. Maybe somebody from there can give you better advice.

Depends on the Island. Oahu 911 was City and County of Honolulu EMS, third service provider. Pay is not bad, although cost of living is high. Paramedics are 2 year degree MICT's. at least thats the way it was if I recall. They cover the whole island, from very urban Waikiki to the badlands of Wainae. There website would certainly give more info than I can, good luck!

Thank you both! Actually its wonderful you mention Canada and provided me with a link, I have been interested in moving there for years, and I have never met a Canadian I did'nt like lol. I would like to spend a few years in Hawaii before I go to Canada, but if not, it is one of my top considerations.

Yes the cost of living is very high from what I understand, especially on Ohahu. I will be moving to the big island, and they say that is the cheapest of the islands. I will be making $22 per hour. I wonder if that will be sufficient?

I was looking at a small article about them a month or so ago they seemed like a decent provider. Its a shame though, I dont have my degree yet, I am still working on it and was hoping to finish it up while in Hawaii.

Did they get rid of their "50% poynesian/Haweiian" requirement? Last I knew that was still in place for any public service job with private contracting...Many years ago AMR had a "exchange medic" program and you could put your name on a wish list to go places to work for a limited time..HI was only available to those that could show some relation to the island ethnic group..

dont have my degree yet, I am still working on it and was hoping to finish it up while in Hawaii.

Good luck with that. There is not a single Nationally Accredited paramedic programme in all of Hawaii.

Wow, I havent heard anything about that requirement, it must have been changed because I have no ties to the islands or its native people.

As far as schools, I need only to take classes in A&P, pharmacology, and spanish to complete my degree program. If these classes transfer from Hawaii back to Texas, I will then be able to obtain the degree. At least that is my hair brained idea anyway, lol we will see how it turns out.

I don't know how it works for associates, but with bachelor's degree, there is a requirement that the last X amount of units before graduation must be completed at that institution. You might want to hold back another term till you finish the degree requirements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.