Stop the bashing!

While we're making observations, I have noticed that those who come here with a screen name that includes the word "fire" tend to have a statistically greater chance of ending up crossways with the group than others. It'd be interesting to learn exactly why this is. It's easy to say that it's because there is a bias that causes people to give them a harder time than others. And I have seen a little bit of that here. But there seems to be more to it than that. I can't help but wonder if those who choose such names simply come with more attitude than other users usually do. Those whose primary interest is the fire service tend to hold different priorities than those whose primary interest is medicine. A different head. A different mentality. One wants to make a living with his brain. One wants to make a living with his brawn. Unfortunately for the latter, your brawn doesn't doesn't work for you on the Internet. And when we start talking grammar to those people, it's a foreign concept to which they take offence.

Anyhow, I am obviously guilty of getting overaggressive here. I wouldn't say I do it without provocation, but my provocation threshold has certainly lowered in recent months. I will make an honest effort to change that. But don't look for that to make a significant dent in the conflicts here. The sad truth is, the great majority of people entering EMS -- fire or otherwise -- are immature, uneducated nimrods who are in it for all the wrong reasons. When their world collides with that of serious professionals, conflict is always going to occur, whether I have anything to do with it or not.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...I am obviously guilty of getting overaggressive here.

Hell, obviously we're ONLY talking about you....get a clue. :wink:

I for one know I've never offended anyone.....sheesh.

Dwayne

Also, as I believe I've covered the subject sufficiently, and can't imagine that anyone could have anything more intelligent to add, commenting must obviously simply taking shots at me...So stop it!

Dwayne

Note: As often happens, we're having a little fun here. No offense intended to OP...this is just a natural part of most threads. Now back to our more productive postings.

...I have noticed that those who come here with a screen name that includes the word "fire" tend to have a statistically greater chance of ending up crossways with the group than others.

This is a perfect example. I too have noticed the trend he mentions, and during my clinicals fire treated me like gold, so I've no ax to grind. How about if we validate this thread by beating Dust up with logic, based on this statement, instead of emotion?

If you've found this not to be true, simply back your opinion up with well thought out facts...and as we don't have the advantage, at least I don't, of statistical analysis, then solid anecdotal evidence.

See what I mean? "You make me feel yucky" is not acceptable. Show the flaw, and then do the best you can to show the solution....

Shoot...this is like they cryer in the dunk tank at the carnival!! He's purposely set himself up as a target!! He can talk smack, but if you hit the target he can't help but get wet. See what I mean?

That's how we roll...

Dwayne

Again.... if there are threads / posts that are outside the guidelines of the site rules, HIT THE REPORT BUTTON. It is that simple. Let AK or myself check out the post and we will make adjustments if necessary.

Everyone likes to sit back and complain about how there is bashing going on and people are calling names, yet there are no reports about it. No report, no action.

WE DO NOT, AND CAN NOT READ EVERY POST THAT IS PUT ON THIS SITE. IT IS UP TO YOU TO HELP US OUT.