New High Quality EMS Online School Opens

spenac

I just found out that two very influential people in Texas EMS have opened a new school. Jane Dinsmore and Gene Gandy both have been actively involved in pushing EMS to become known for quality healthcare professionals rather than taxi drivers as so many educators put out. Here's a link to their site that will continue to expand to include all levels of EMS education. http://www.percomonline.com/percom/Home/ta...58/Default.aspx

I do not own or work for them, but I have seen the quality of their work and wanted to let people know they have another option for education both initial and CE.

Sounds promising, but how are students supposed to learn hands on skills? And it appears to only benefit Texans, but other wise, it seems they are on the right track to educating people.

You still have hands on classes as well as clinicals. Actually this educates you to pass the National Registry. Does your state take NR? Then it takes this course.

This is not a new concept. These are the two people that were instrumental in the first online EMS education first at a college then they opened a private school www.techproservices.net which is still running under different ownership. Now they are back with a new school.

Online education has proven effective in every field and has been very effective in EMS. It obviously can not be entirely online, so you will have to spend time at the campus for hands on practice.

Now it takes somebody that is dedicated and self disciplined in order to complete these courses. It is not the easy fast way to certification. It is definitely not for everybody.

Online EMT=oxymoron?

Not saying the concept is not nice and can't work but let's be careful saying it has "worked in every profession including EMS" when in reality online courses have been out less than ten years. We need to see more results to really see how "successful" it is.

I believe there are portions and some classes that can be taught online, but there are definitely areas that formal instruction should be given.

R/r 911

Online EMT=oxymoron?

Not saying the concept is not nice and can't work but let's be careful saying it has "worked in every profession including EMS" when in reality online courses have been out less than ten years. We need to see more results to really see how "successful" it is.

I believe there are portions and some classes that can be taught online, but there are definitely areas that formal instruction should be given.

R/r 911

Exactly right I over stated. Sorry. More time will prove one way or the other. Sadly though the results will be ruined by the diploma mills that will pop up, I should say have popped up.

And your right portions must be taught in person and they are at the schools above.

I have two issues with online training...

First, they are not for me personally, as spenac stated above. I benefit from the class environment, hearing other's questions, etc.

Second, I have trouble giving much credit for online classes that don't test with a proctor. When I took Bio105 online, I got some of the folks together for study groups, the problem was that after the second study group or so, no one studied any more. They simply sat together at one computer, with their books in their laps and took each person's test as a group.

Maybe basic would be ok I guess, I'm not sure. Or perhaps even one proctored final exam, but no proctored exams means that, once again, the weakest links excel.

Dwayne

These two schools have final exams at the school campus. There are other exams also required on campus.

The only gripe I have with these two are they are not aligned with a college. There are a couple of online ems program that are based out of a college but they have a rep as diploma mills.

I have some apprehensions since the Basic is still being used as the foundation for Paramedic education. Although, I personally do not like the system we use, that is irreverent but we need to be sure that the core is strong.

Most online courses I have taken are much more in-depth than classroom. Although most assume it would be easier, I have the opposite of being more time consuming with more reading and writing so the instructor can properly evaluate.

I do wonder what the drop out ratio is (will be), the percentage of pass rate of NREMT, employment percentile, etc.. The college program I teach will be utilizing an online for some theory courses.

I believe the "mills" will soon be a thing of the past (Paramedic level at least) for NREMT states when the accreditation requirements occur.

R/r 911

I have some apprehensions since the Basic is still being used as the foundation for Paramedic education. Although, I personally do not like the system we use, that is irreverent but we need to be sure that the core is strong.

Most online courses I have taken are much more in-depth than classroom. Although most assume it would be easier, I have the opposite of being more time consuming with more reading and writing so the instructor can properly evaluate.

I do wonder what the drop out ratio is (will be), the percentage of pass rate of NREMT, employment percentile, etc.. The college program I teach will be utilizing an online for some theory courses.

I believe the "mills" will soon be a thing of the past (Paramedic level at least) for NREMT states when the accreditation requirements occur.

R/r 911

First the accreditation requirements will be met based on conversations with both schools. I have no doubt as both schools owners are involved heavily with NR.

Rid you are exactly right about the classes being more in depth and actually requiring much more time. There is more research required in these programs than any of the standard classes I researched before starting my paramedic. I do not know how many actually flunk out or just quit theses classes but I know several at my current job quit the EMT-I program because as they roughly put it it made them study stuff they would never need. They were addressing understanding in depth processes. I guess they thought it would just teach them to start IV's and push meds w/o requiring knowledge.

As far as NR exam passing rates last I heard it was around 95% of those that passed the courses. If you can pass the course final exam you will pass the NR.

I took 2 courses @ www.techproservices.net when Jane and Gene were still basically in charge. So I am sure their new school www.percomonline.com will be just as good. The people that are operating techpro are still tough and doing a good job as I can attest to based on the paramedic program I am in with them.

I have always enjoyed self paced online or distance learning. When in high school in the 80's I took correspondence course from Texas Tech University on top of my regular school load. Those and similar college courses I guess would be the precursor to online education. And to go back to the 1940's I found engineering correspondence books that belonged to my grandfather. So distance learning is not new. I really guess so many get the wrong idea about it because of all the diploma mills, even though there are even more regular school diploma mills.

First the accreditation requirements will be met based on conversations with both schools. I have no doubt as both schools owners are involved heavily with NR.

Yeah, both Gene and Jane are experienced educators and educated professionals themselves, holding advanced degrees. This will not be some mom & pop operation running on a shoestring with no clue. If any private venture can pull it off, it will be them.