Prescription Drugs Allegedly Stolen from Florida Fire and EM

VentMedic

Reading this just brought a question to mind. Why do EMS people caught abusing / stealing drugs lose their certification in pretty much all cases yet doctors and nurses just get counseling and a slap on the hand? Is this just in Texas or nationwide that it happens this way? It really is a double standard IMHO.

Good question but I can thik of several possible reasons, whether they are right or not I do not know.

First, a medic is working off of a doc's license. He has the right to revoke that and what doc would want a drug theif working on people under his license when they have been guilty of such behavior. It would bring into question way too many things down the road. The state also has laws to that effect. For example, in Alaska if you did not have a physician sponsor, then you did not have a state license...period. No medic can claim to be a medic unless they have active physician oversight.

Second, monitoring. It is easy to monitor docs and nurses guilty of this behavior. They can lose script writing privileges, or the nurse can lose access to the pixis or be restricted from handing out any meds that may be of a narcotic nature. A medic can not. We have to have our narcs with us as patients depend on it, nor can we call for oversight everytime we wish to administer it.

Big difference and no comparison; but good point.

Another possible point of contention, as to why EMSers lose out bigger than RN or MD/DO folks.

Spenac said:

Why do EMS people caught abusing / stealing drugs lose their certification in pretty much all cases yet doctors and nurses just get counseling and a slap on the hand?

Notice the word I emphasized? EMTs and Paramedics are not licenced, but are certified by their state DoH, while the RNs, the Physicians Assistants, MDs and DOs* ARE licenced!

*Doctor of Osteopathy

We had an ER nurse whose thing was Demerol. I'm not sure but she left one hosp. before they actually caught her. Apparently she would always have the patient laying down and rolled over in a way they could not see her. She would give them just a fraction of what was ordered, turn around with the same needle and pop herself in the leg with it right there. I'm not sure how she did get caught other than she was in a break room.

But she lost her license, for good.

Well, it does not always happen that medics are decertified, or even fired. There have been many incidents of the employer covering it up to avoid negative publicity, writing it off to an "employee assistance" matter, or simply allowing the suspect to resign and take their problems elsewhere with a good reference.

Personally, I am very happy that EMS providers are usually held to a stricter standard. It's one of the darn few standards we can take pride in.

Good question but I can thik of several possible reasons, whether they are right or not I do not know.

First, a medic is working off of a doc's license. He has the right to revoke that and what doc would want a drug theif working on people under his license when they have been guilty of such behavior. It would bring into question way too many things down the road. The state also has laws to that effect. For example, in Alaska if you did not have a physician sponsor, then you did not have a state license...period. No medic can claim to be a medic unless they have active physician oversight.

Actually many professionals work directly under a medical director's license including Radiology and Respiratory as well as anyone who is involved in specialty transport. My medical director has the ability to bust me to tank jockey even before the state takes my license if he so desires by taking away my ICU job description.

Second, monitoring. It is easy to monitor docs and nurses guilty of this behavior. They can lose script writing privileges, or the nurse can lose access to the pixis or be restricted from handing out any meds that may be of a narcotic nature. A medic can not. We have to have our narcs with us as patients depend on it, nor can we call for oversight everytime we wish to administer it.

Big difference and no comparison; but good point.

A Paramedic can be busted to a BLS or transport van if they want to stay with the company. That has been done a few times in South Florida. If you are with fire rescue, you just go on an engine. That is probably the biggest advantage of working for a FD as well as the blessing of the union to protect whatever you may do. Anybody remember some of the articles I post occasionally about the San Francisco Fire and EMS department? The 1980s had the worst times for departments and companies in South Florida. They learned some hard lessons during that time concerning illegal activities of their employees.

Florida, as do many states, publishes the names of people disciplined. It makes for very interesting and embarrassing reading.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/enforcement..._reports06.html

If you know the person whose license you want to look up for specifics:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/enforcement...ne_reports.html

Side note: Dale Dubin's name is still in the files.

Florida also pubishes a newsletter with general news and a list of violations but no names.

http://www.fl-ems.com/

Site outlining disciplinary steps:

http://www.fl-ems.com/Investigations/Inves...ons.html#idiscp

There are also employee assistance and "rehab" programs provided by the state of Florida DOH for people to participate in to save their license.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.