Alberta Ground catching up to patch?

So this is for you Albertans out there. I'm noticing the ground rates are going up, not only in the cities but for rural as well. (I mean edmontons EMT starting rate jumped almost 5$ an hour.) Of course its hard to find staff now and that has something to do with it. But we're still behind about 50$ a day at the BLS level. The rates are a lot better from when i started in the field 3 years ago. (About 120$ a day difference.) Everyone else notice this?

(Of course top end the difference seems about 100$ a day still for experienced/ good oil jobs. @ the BLS level)

Shane;

It is quite true, the rates are going up across the board, it could be a result of the law "supply vs demand". And with the "hint" of the Alberta Government that a decision will be made by June 15th regarding the managing of EMS services and funding formula.

In the interum I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth .... if you follow.

Alberta Health release for your review:

The plan identifies initiatives to improve health system governance and accountability, expand health workforce recruitment, manage health services to better meet patient needs, promote healthy and safe communities and introduce new technologies for Albertans to access and understand the health system over the next nine months.

"Alberta has a good public health system that needs to be made more accessible," said Ron Liepert, Minister of Health and Wellness. "We've set out an ambitious plan to make the necessary decisions and changes to build a better health care system that will be there for people when they need it."

By June 15, a decision will be made on a new governance model for regional health authorities and health boards. A decision will also be made on managing ground emergency medical services in the province.

"Our top priority is to improve accessibility and the future sustainability of the health system," said Liepert. "Our new direction will build on the Mazankowski report in 2001 and all other reports and studies done by government. Also important to the work we do is building on policies from the 2006 Health Policy Framework – Getting on with Better Health Care. The outcome of the plan is a sustainable, effective and efficient health system that provides quality patient-focused care to Albertans." The plan calls for immediate actions in the following areas:

Mandatory accreditation and reporting for all Alberta health service providers and facilities.

Monitoring for compliance with province-wide infection prevention and control standards.

Address workforce-related issues and support for continuing care.

Expand educational spaces for physicians, registered nurses and laboratory and respiratory therapists.

Develop a patient navigator system to improve access to health services and continuity of care.

Expand the role of pharmacists in preventing and managing chronic diseases.

Expand addiction and mental health services.

Expand initiatives to promote healthy lifestyles and prevent disease.

cheers and we shall see if the government advisors DO have there acts togeter and quite soon.

I work casual at a rural service on my days off and they have been paying about $265/day + OT.

I am not sure what the rigs pay for an EMT but I am sure this is better pay when you consider you're doing 911 calls, and living at an up-to date ambulance base with kitchen, big screen TV, double bed, etc..etc.

I myself have also noticed more accomidating shifts with rural such as a 7 on 7 off or a 4 on 4 off choice at my current employer. So i have the "choice" to do patch work on my days off if i ever decided to go back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.