What do you carry in your jump kit

mobey

OK maybe jump kit is not a universal term, but I mean the standard kit you grab on your way into every call. I will list what we carry, but I am considering recommending some changes and wanted to get some ideas.

1st kit (carried into every call that is not dispatched unresponsive/unconcious)

BP cuff & Stethoscope

SPO2 monitor

2x nasal cannula, 2x NRB, BVM

Med kit

Glucose monitor

Sharps container

IV kit

Manual suction

2nd kit (Only brought in to unCx unresponcive, or trauma)

All items as above plus:

OPA set

Non-visualized airway set (king right now)

Oxygen D tank

And a whole lot of dressings

I am thinking one all inclusive kit would be nice, makes my unit checks that much easier!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha I can only assume that Symptom Relief bag relieves my symptoms?

That made me laugh...but then again I am easily amused.

I thought that the State dictates what all is supposed to be stocked in an EMS unit? Like the bare minimum on the unit for it to be determined an EMS unit??

Am I wrong? Cause that is possible, but I was just wondering. My friends in EMS haven't really had an issue with coming up with a list of what all they need in their bags because well, there isn't much wiggle room.

Unless of course this person is looking for a personal vehicle. In which case wanker it out! get the full D cylinder, IV kits, Monitor, hell, outfit the car for a stretcher :)

I thought that the State dictates what all is supposed to be stocked in an EMS unit? Like the bare minimum on the unit for it to be determined an EMS unit??

Ummm... no. The state dictates minimum equipment on the ambulance, not what and how you stock your kits. You don't even have to have portable kits, according to most state lists. Any state that actually tells you what to put in your kits probably sucks. That's micromanagement in the extremis.

Moby, your kit set-up seems randomly mix-matched. I don't understand why you would mix the trauma stuff with your unconscious person stuff. Any trauma serious enough to require serious airway management doesn't have time for bandaging and splinting, and vice versa. I would separate bags the way they separate emergency rooms: medicine and trauma. Let's face it, folks, we just don't use all those bandages and shit that often. Put it all in one separate bag, with a couple of Ringers setups. Keep all your meds, airway, and diagnostics in an all inclusive ALS bag. Oxygen I would also keep separate from the med bag, and in it's own bag. You might make your oxygen bag double as an airway bag. That works well. But I would definitely not put oxygen in my med or trauma bags. Carrying all the weight in one bag is a horrible idea on several levels.

That's just works for me. Your mileage may vary. But I'd much rather carry two or three lighter bags than one big arse bag.

Non-emergent Ambulance job=what ever you can fit in the O2 bag (NRB, NC, O2 tank, basic wound care stuff) and a steth/BP cuff for calls going to the emergency room.

Waterpark first aid:

Fanny pack with a minimum of gloves/gauze/face mask which was carried around at all times. Basics could add to that from supplies as needed. For example, I had 4x4s, a petrol dressing, trauma pad, googles, gloves, mask, gown, icepack, triangle bandage, gauze, antibiotic cream, tape, and sting-eze. You can fit a fair amount in a bag with a bit of organization.

In addition, we had an Iron Duck back pack which carried pretty much everything found on your normal basic level ambulance sans transport equipment (e.g. back board) (O2 tank, NRB (ped and adult), NC (ped and adult), BVM (adult, ped, infant), wound supplies, cervical collar, small and medium cardboard splint, wound care supples, and a v-vac. In addition we had an AED in a hard case and an extra tackle box style trauma kit (only trauma supplies) that included mass casualty tags. I've often complained that the waterpark was more prepared to take care of patients than the ambulance was.

Equipment (bags, wheel chair, backboard, etc) was brought to a scene on an as needed basis. The only constant was the fanny pack.

At my volley squad:

Stethoscope/Adult BP Cuff, a couple 4x4's, 2 rolls of tape, seat belt cutter, cpr mask, Adult BVM, 3 Ice Packs, Pen Light, Trauma Shears, 2 tubes of Oral Glucose, Oral/Nasal Adjuncts, Extra Large BP Cuff.

We end up bringing the oxygen in to most calls as well, which is in a separate bag, which lays on the stretcher if needed. We also have a Pedi Kit, as well as a Trauma Kit, brought in accordingly.

Paid Service: One huge bag, with O2 and all that was mentioned above, with the addition of more 4x4's, multi trauma dressings and the like. O2 is mounted on the cot if we need for transport. Kinda seems backwards to me that we carry two O2 bottles around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.