60 Minutes: The Science of Sleep

Yup...I've had those "micro-sleeps" on my way home from work many times. It's scary to think I can fall asleep while slapping my face, singing to the top of my lungs with the window down. Waking up at a stop light with someone blowing the horn behind me is a scary feeling.

When we've worked 12 hours and get a late call, turning the shift into 15 or 16 hours I am definitely not safe to drive home. But, what do you do? Gotta be back at 1830.

My guardian angel is worn out.

I was so use to long hours of no sleep, not necessarily while working all the time, that I literally had it down to a science on stages of how I felt or were effected. I'd usually start describing things at about 18 hours and work my way up to as much as 48 hours. I'll spare you now the whole list.

I had not seen the program but I would predict they stressed the importance of sleep and avoiding the long hours, especially while working. And probably those employed in EMS, fire, and police were the one's most subseptiple to the problems.

Rushing my way out to the CA EMS Mtg, so can't view it now...BUT on the topic of sleep, heard from several people that shift work increases your chance for cancer? Anyone know validity of this study? Is it b/c you do shift work that you're more likely to work in a job where you come in contact with carcinogens or is it all shift work?

From some of the info I've read:

Next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen.

The higher cancer rates don't prove working overnight can cause cancer. There may be other factors common among graveyard shift workers that raise their risk for cancer.

However, scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock. The hormone melatonin, which can suppress tumor development, is normally produced at night.

Also, I'm double-whammied because it's also being researched and found that:

People who work a mix of day and night shifts may face a greater risk of dying from heart disease than those who work fixed days or nights only. I work days and nights.

I'm sure our exposure to diesel fumes, etc, doesn't help much either.

From some of the info I've read:

Next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen.

The higher cancer rates don't prove working overnight can cause cancer. There may be other factors common among graveyard shift workers that raise their risk for cancer.

However, scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock. The hormone melatonin, which can suppress tumor development, is normally produced at night.

Also, I'm double-whammied because it's also being researched and found that:

People who work a mix of day and night shifts may face a greater risk of dying from heart disease than those who work fixed days or nights only. I work days and nights.

I'm sure our exposure to diesel fumes, etc, doesn't help much either.

I take OTC Melatonin regularly, have been for years.

I imagine working any rough schedule (day and night mixture) is just tough on your body and stress is created as you adapt to an unnatural schedule (continuously flooding your body with hormones every time the bell/phone rings or getting forcing yourself to stay awake, etc).

Since a kid I had this theory that scientists usually live RELATIVELY?? normal to long length lives because they spend their time in peace (there are many exceptions, but still trend?).

All physical stress on body's physiology wears it away, even if it repairs, never as good at before...

I imagine working any rough schedule (day and night mixture) is just tough on your body and stress is created as you adapt to an unnatural schedule (continuously flooding your body with hormones every time the bell/phone rings or getting forcing yourself to stay awake, etc).

Since a kid I had this theory that scientists usually live RELATIVELY?? normal to long length lives because they spend their time in peace (there are many exceptions, but still trend?).

All physical stress on body's physiology wears it away, even if it repairs, never as good at before...

You pretty much nailed it Tony.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.