Carrying Oxygen off duty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going strictly from memory, and not having activated the links, I seem to recall that, some years ago, airplane passengers, originally in the Tokyo Airport, could, for a price, get 5 minutes of o2 via a nasal cannula, against the air pollution of Tokyo.

At a fund raiser for a local politician by me, they had an Oxygen Bar set up at the catering hall, no charge, for a set amount of time with an "aromatherapy" "flavor" added, in what looked like a humidifier chamber, again by nasal cannula.

I did not partake.

In CA as an EMT you can purchase oxygen without a prescription (O2 is classified as a drug here). For my job, I have my own kit, including oxygen and called around to find out if I, as an EMT, am even able to fill a tank before I made the purchase of the tank. All i had to do was prove (with my certs) that I am certified to administer O2. The company needed copies of my EMT cert and CPR for Heath Care Providers card.

I found it hardest to find a local place that fills oxygen. I just went to the company that I knew from an ambulance company I used to work at had used for their O2 refills.

If you need more info, I suggest calling your local EMS office for advice and you can also call the local filling company who should know who they are allowed to fill tanks for and what documentation they need from you.

For my job, I have my own kit, including oxygen and called around to find out if I, as an EMT, am even able to fill a tank before I made the purchase of the tank. All i had to do was prove (with my certs) that I am certified to administer O2. The company needed copies of my EMT cert and CPR for Heath Care Providers card.

Do you understand the legal difference between being certified to administer a drug, and being licensed to prescribe it?

I'm thinking you don't.

As a very rural provider my protocols allowed for us to keep oxygen with us for use in our coverage area. Check with your medical director and also check your state regulations. Welcome to the city.

If you are going to say I don't know something, then explain (otherwise, I have to assume you don't really know what you're talking about, and just trying to criticize others becasue you have something to prove/compensate for)! What circumstances are you assuming are taking place that I am prescribing things in? I follow offline protocols.

If you are going to say I don't know something, then explain (otherwise, I have to assume you don't really know what you're talking about, and just trying to criticize others becasue you have something to prove/compensate for)!

The only thing I am compensating for is your FAILURE to clearly explain explain the circumstances of your job. Consequently, we had no choice but to assume what you were talking about. Don't go criticising others' lack of explanation when it was your lack of explanation that led to it.

Now that I know what line of work you were talking about, it makes more sense. But in your above post, it sounded like you were just another whacker who believed that a three week first aid course gave them the authority to go slapping oxygen on people without medical direction. This is so prevalent that it is a logical assumption.

I've only been an EMT for a little while now, and I'm working on setting up a bag to keep with me while off duty. Are there any regulations or restrictions on carrying a small O2 tank if it's not going to be used on a service? To rephrase, can just about anyone get oxygen?

I know that I definitely wouldn't leave it in my car during the hot summer months and the freezing winter months. Also, I live in NH so if there's any special state restrictions, that'd be nice to know too.

Hey Upton,

The best advice I can give you is that if you want to set up a bag to keep in your car, great idea, but 86 the oxygen. It's more trouble than it's worth. If a patient truly needs the extra oxygen, give them mouth to mask. I have a bag in my car with bandaging supplies, shears, ice and heat packs, gloves, sterile water, a couple of Sams Splints, BP cuff and stethoscope, face mask, motrin, benedryl, neosporin, bandaids, burn cream, a fake credit card (for stingers), anti-itch cream, a flash light, a cup, a lighter, and some hard candies, and of course, some chocolate. I have used many of the things in it but have never had a need for oxygen.

Keep it simple and remember, if you are responding when not working, you are only a first responder.

Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.