Carrying Oxygen off duty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case people missed the post in the other thread, the OP is talking about setting up a bag to work as a set medic.

Not the OP. He only has one post. You are thinking of the other new person that was also rudely attacked ( tigershell339 ).

katbemeEMT-B you mention mouth to mask rather than O2. Why not carry a BVM instead?

Not the OP. He only has one post. You are thinking of the other new person that was also rudely attacked ( tigershell339 ).

katbemeEMT-B you mention mouth to mask rather than O2. Why not carry a BVM instead?

I guess if some one really wanted to carry a BVM they certainly could. I myself don't see the need as I would be concentrating on compressions anyway. I would rather have something compact that easy to store and takes little time to set up for use. A BVM is bigger and much more awkward. But, that's just my opinion.

I guess if some one really wanted to carry a BVM they certainly could. I myself don't see the need as I would be concentrating on compressions anyway. I would rather have something compact that easy to store and takes little time to set up for use. A BVM is bigger and much more awkward. But, that's just my opinion.

I just prefer BVM as I don't like that up close and personal feeling I get from mouth to mask. But with the new guidelines compressions are all you need till ambulance gets there most times.

Not a bad idea if you don't want to get up close and personal. Definitely better than those face masks you see on keychains as well.

And a BVM will deliver ~21% oxygen rather then the ~18% you exhale from your lungs. You know that 3% is crucial :wink:

and let's not forget that Chuck Norris delivered a round house kick to the voting booth and out came Mike Huckabee

Chuck norris, man of all things. He cries tears of blood you know.

• 1 month later...

Really you don't need the O2 bottle. Forget it. Unless you are in a rural area and on a squad where it is common place and needed for EMTs to respond from in personal vehicle from home, with your own equipment. Even then you'd make yourself out to be a bit of a wacker.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.