I Like working rual ems

What is a "rual" area? And when you say "real area" what kind of real area are you talking about?

I work part time at a service that is 90 miles to hospital with no air support and only 1 ambulance. We have some patients that it takes about 2 hours response time, then it takes well over 3 hours transport time to the hospital. Most response times are closer to 20 minutes. Nearest mutual aid is an hour away. We are primary for over 2000 square miles, and mutual aid for another 4000+ square miles.

I would call your area remote not rural because there is no hospital in the same town as the ambulance is based in. That said the nearest trauma surgeon to us is just under 2 hours away running hot. Our rural car does respond to places more than an hour out due to the size of our response area. There are two remote cars out in the far-flung regions but they have a difficult time retaining enough staff to man the cars so at times where going out over 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I would call your area remote not rural because there is no hospital in the same town as the ambulance is based in. That said the nearest trauma surgeon to us is just under 2 hours away running hot. Our rural car does respond to places more than an hour out due to the size of our response area. There are two remote cars out in the far-flung regions but they have a difficult time retaining enough staff to man the cars so at times where going out over 2 hours.

Our nearest trauma surgeon is actually over 4 hours away running hot.

Where at in S. IL? I'm in S.IL. Actually I left and came back.

Some in Chicago think south of Kankakee is rural. We had a guy come from Kankakee to work where I was. It was like working with Frank Burns from M*A*S*H*. What's worse is that for about a year and a half I had to share an apt. above the ambulance building with him. He finally went back north.

Our nearest trauma surgeon is actually over 4 hours away running hot.

I'm guessing you guy's do air-evacs for cardiac and major trauma patients then. It's definitely interesting working outside the major centres. Much longer transport times etc.. At this point in my career I would like higher call volume though. Realistically the rural and remote areas are the ones with the greatest need for experienced medics because they have patients under their care for the greatest amount of time.

I'm guessing you guy's do air-evacs for cardiac and major trauma patients then. It's definitely interesting working outside the major centres. Much longer transport times etc.. At this point in my career I would like higher call volume though. Realistically the rural and remote areas are the ones with the greatest need for experienced medics because they have patients under their care for the greatest amount of time.

No air support. We have to travel the 90 miles and a helicopter or fixed wing can meet us at the hospital. There is rumors that a fixed wing is moving into our area, but I 'll believe it when I see it.

I was thinking more along the lines of one of the Emperor's Club girls in a librarian's outfit, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

[align=center:a0fc5db25d]Ask and ye' shall receive.

Warning adult content!!

Seriously, you've been warned!

I'm not kidding you might not want to click it!

[spoil:a0fc5db25d]puje.jpg[/spoil:a0fc5db25d][/align:a0fc5db25d]

[align=center:a0fc5db25d]I warned ya!! :D[/align:a0fc5db25d]

If your county has more than 1 comma in it's population you really can't call yourself rural. :wink:

Spenac your not rural your third world by association. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.