Paramedic sues patient over slip and fall

JPINFV

Paramedic Sues Heart Patient For 999 Fall

Mar 15 2008

A PARAMEDIC who tripped and fell while on a 999 call is suing the heart patient he was sent to help.

Stephen Canning claims he stumbled and twisted his ankle when a security light outside the home of Joan Boardman, 82, went out.

Joan and her husband, James, have been sent a solicitor's letter claiming loss of earnings following the accident, last March.

James, 83, called the ambulance when Joan suffered what the couple thought to be an angina attack at their home in Louth, Lincolnshire.

He said: "We shouldn't have to pay out for him falling over.

"It's morally wrong and has left a very sour taste in the mouth."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world...86908-20351465/

The tech who sustained the injury could technically be out sick on full pay for the first 6 months, then half pay for a further 6 months if need be (correct me if I am wrong Zippy) They get a good deal with sick pay within the NHS, though it obviously costs the NHS many millions in lost hours per year.

Not sure where I stand with this particular case, but they definitely take things like lifting and handling way more serious in the UK than over here. There is also the expectation from crews, that they are not going to be exposed to hazardous environments on calls, again in regards to moving and handling, and access to patients etc. This is possibly what some of these type of lawsuits may, I stress may, be trying to exploit.

I wasn't there of course, but there may have been more to this event than what we have read, given that the story seems to have a bias towards the patient's viewpoint. Also, just to highlight the "don't believe everything you read in the papers" mantra, the EMS tech in question is NOT a Paramedic

Don't they have something similar to Workman's Comp over there?

To sue cause the light went out is ridiculous, what if there were no lights to start with? Then whose fault would it be?

successful egal action would get both the lost earnings and some compensation

ironically if there were no lights then there wouldn't be grounds for the legal action...

The tech who sustained the injury could technically be out sick on full pay for the first 6 months, then half pay for a further 6 months if need be (correct me if I am wrong Zippy) They get a good deal with sick pay within the NHS, though it obviously costs the NHS many millions in lost hours per year.

if he's got enough service ( 4 or 5 years depending when you started ) - less than that less paid sick time - onto SSP / IB sooner

the NHS can reclaim sick pay over and above Statutory sick pay if you sue and get 'loss of earnings' money...

Not sure where I stand with this particular case, but they definitely take things like lifting and handling way more serious in the UK than over here.

moving and handling is a big issue inthe uk ( well most of europe) due to the manual handling ops regualtions which have pretty big fines attached for employers who haven't trained and risk assessed (or taught employees how to do dynamic RA) - this also applies to voluntary organisations (after a situation where a SJA volunteer died during a training exercise becasue of the negligence of an instructor)

The tech who sustained the injury could technically be out sick on full pay for the first 6 months, then half pay for a further 6 months if need be...

Must be nice! I'm on less than half pay right now, going on four months.

Obviously, such a golden perk is open to abuse, which is perhaps one of the reasons they take moving and handling so seriously in the UK / EU.

It could be argued that back injuries, strains and sprains etc, with subsequent lost man hours / sick pay (of one of the largest employers in the Country) were possibly the principle driving forces behind the implementation of the "no lift" policy of recent years.

Obviously, such a golden perk is open to abuse, which is perhaps one of the reasons they take moving and handling so seriously in the UK / EU.

<snipo>

it's also why those who attempt to compared RN salaries between the uk and the US fall down

they forget aobut the package theat being employed by the NHS brings with it

index linked pension of up to half your final salary

a minimum of & , yes & ( seven) weeks of paid leave a year ( 27 'days' or Annual leave and 8 public holidays) with additional leave for long service at 5 and 10 years

the sick pay as discussed

free life assurance

Aside from the work ethics being different, your argument suggests that you would need to be out sick for long periods merely to enjoy the full benefits of employment within the NHS. It suggests that there is little reward for being punctual and reliable in your workplace, and only those who want to milk the system, or those who are genuinely prone to recurrent illness or injury, could possibly benefit.

My sickie time is there to be used, but I will use it when I need it. Other than that, there are short and long-term disability plans which don't cost the world. As for pensions, my 403b is not dissimilar to the one I already have festering in the UK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.