That weird EMS sense of humor??

I was talking with a nurse I work with about differences in EMS and Long Term care. I work as a CNA now because frankly I make more money, and am going to medic school in the fall. But I have worked for a looong time as a EMT-B. Over the course of our conversation another nurse walked up and was just shocked at everything I was talking about. I did my ride alongs and worked in a rough area and saw lots of things that were pretty nasty, it's just a part of the job. She was just shocked that the other nurse and I could just laugh off a lot of it. I get that a lot though, other EMT-B's and medics I know can just laugh off a lot of stuff that turns other people's stomachs in a instant, yet a nurse just can't handle it. Anyone else get that or is it just me and my deranged friends.??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dark humor that many develope is just another coping mechanism. The nurse probably has never been exposed to some of the things seen in the field or the ER and has not had the need to develope this type of coping mechanism. I see it also comparing 911 EMS to Transfer jockeys. Those exposed find ways to cope and some of those are shocking to those that had no need to find a coping mechanism.

I am very, very lucky to work with a nurse who albeit, older, has been around a lot and dealt with the gang bangers in Detroit and the coke fiends, so she knows what I am talking about. But then you get the ones out of nursing school, whose only expierence is dealing with nursing homes and the first time the call the tod, they ball for four hours.

Some of the stories my teachers tell, and laugh at (which in turns makes us students laugh) would probably shock most 'normal folk'. The stuff that interests me, fascinates me, and makes me laugh makes my husband do double takes at me. But I can find that if I shared that same story with someone in EMS, they don't look at me like I am purple. I guess you just have to have some sort of mentality for even wanting to go into this field.

That's true. That's what the FD says though too, they have to be a bit crazy. Everyone else runs from a fire, they run too it.

Like the toilet seat thread, I would give anything to see the pics of that..lol Most people would be grossed out at the visual. I would kill to have a call similar to that once I start working. Then, to take it further, I would want to be in the OR when they remove the seat..

:lol:

I don't think you have to have a "bizarre" or "sick" sense of humor to be in EMS or the Fire Serv., but it helps. :tongue3:

I had a 25 year career in business. I had to constantly edit my "crazy" side - and even then I would forget, slip and say something that made the others look at me funny. I had a reputation for excellent returns but I was impossible to control - I HAD to go into business for myself.

Now I am in EMS and the less I edit, the more the maniacs around me like it. I am amazed. Bottom line - you gotta be nuts to wanna.. and even nutser to wanna keep at it :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.