Should People With Infectious Diseases Be Allowed in EMS?

thank you wendy. I appreciate it. I don't expect anyone to agree with me but I am not alone in my thoughts.

But I said I would not post again and I broke the promise but I had to thank Wendy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that there is a stigma about the disease itself more than the actual virus.

It would be my hope that through education the this sterotyped stigma be replaced with intelligence over misinformation.

Vent medic I WILL WORK WITH YOU ANYDAY I would be HONOURED.

Perhaps an introduction of yet another controversy in this thread.

"What are the Rights of the Infected Health Care Provider"

as long as we stay away from chastising ruff on his views, I have often wondered the same thing tnuiqs(sic)

Just what are the healthcare workers rights when it comes to having an infectious disease.

Does the patient have a right to know?

Does the employer have a right to know?

The question does need to be asked.

There are countless people that i have treated with infectious diseases, have taken the appropriate precautions and have never had a problem. I have done iv's, administered meds, etc. As a medic, i also don't engage in behavior that would put my patient at risk from anything i had or could give them.

I don't know if you people know that you are probably more at risk of transmitting things like MRSA, C def, etc than HIV, HCV, etc. This web site has some of the most narrow minded and prejudicial people i've ever encountered... now you want to discriminate an individual on the basis of a disability! You folks are living in the dark ages. Go back to school, learn your patho and then take a course on sociology.

and smallfry, i've never said discriminate against them. I said that with an infectious disease they should not be working in ems.

But with 9 posts I guess that you are an expert on everyone's opinions in here.

Someone who chooses to put their opinion forth and defend it has credibility. This poster said he/she perceives prejudices, and thinks some people need a pathology refresher. They were just a smidge blunt about it- bluntness that we tolerate and make excuses for in other posters with "more credibility".

Just because there's only 9 posts behind the name doesn't make the poster worthless. Low shot, Ruff.

So, since again this topic seems to come back to education, who's had a sociology course recently? Or a nursing ethics or healthcare ethics or philosophy class? Anything relevant in there that would add to this discussion?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Many lurk before posting. Smallfry may well be versed in common opinions from certain users.

And one could argue that firing someone for a Hepatitis or HIV diagnosis is in fact discrimination if they are still able to perform their duties.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This web site has some of the most narrow minded and prejudicial people i've ever encountered... now you want to discriminate an individual on the basis of a disability! You folks are living in the dark ages.

Greetings and welcome my fellow countryman, I am anticipating (with some passing interest) more posts from yourself, perhaps you should look at the avatar signatures just FYI.

hmmm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.