Gastric Bypass and then working in the EMS field

LisaO925

I looked for anything having to do with this post, and couldn't find any in the archives.

As stated in the obese medic thread, I am not a skinny chick. I have been trying to eat healthier (ignore the Burger King I had on my way home yesterday from class, I was starving) and increase my excercise.

But, the more I learn about clots, strokes, pulmonary embolisms, diabetes, etc. the more I am starting to panic about my weight. Knock on wood, I am healthy so far. But, I am thinking about having Gastric Bypass after I complete my EMT class. I just changed our insurance (open enrollment for husbands union) from Kaiser to Blue Cross. I've contacted the weight loss program at the hospital that performs the procedure to get more information, and primary care Dr. reccomendations.

My long winded question is this: Does anyone know, or have any of you personally have had a Gastric Bypass who works in EMS. How soon after the procedure did they go back to work? How did they / you handle the strict diet, and constant dehydration demand in the field? Any problems?

I plan on graduating the class, and taking my NR ASAP, then having the surgery. Giving myself the summer to bounce back, and then start to look for work on an ambulance till January or February, and then going to Paramedic school early next year. But I have no idea if that will be too much of a demand on myself, and my body only 6 or 7 months after the surgery??

I know thats a question for my surgeon, but I was hoping for some real life people with different experiences on here (hopefully positive) post Gastric Bypass.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you think about lap-band. Gastric Bypass is very aggressive and, having been associated with a bariatric center before (I worked in one for a couple of months), I would recommend seeking easier remedies. Not only is the M/M very high, it is hard on your family, emotionally.

Have you been to the counseling yet?

And to answer the question..I know of a few individuals with the lap band, with differing results..no one That has had bypass has made it back to the field...Just my observations.

I have had two past partners opt for gastric bypass. They were back at work in no time, 6-8 weeks if I recall correctly. They did fine on the job, didn't seem to affect them any.

More recently as in 7 months ago, a medic buddy of mine here went and had the band placed. He hast dropped over a hundred pounds so far. After hearing about the two, I personally would choose the band for starters, much less invasive and back to work in no time. He is also able to adjust the band should he decide he wants to intake more food for any particular reason. It is kind of like a port and he just sticks himself and makes it smaller or larger. Sorry I cant be more technical, but being an observer of the two different route, I would definitely go for the band.

I would do your research on the subject. My ex is a ICU RN and most of the time their ICU is half full of bypass pt's. She sees a lot of the bad outcomes from this surgery. It is not for everyone and as stated the M&M is high.

Look at the Lap Band or other ways of losing the weight. The easy way out is not always the best!!

Good luck to you!

You should clearly seek counseling and possible lap-band placement. The band is not adjusted by the patient, in my experience, and is closely monitored by the bariatric team, or NP. The balloon is connected to a port in the abdomen, and saline is administered or removed to tighten or loosen the band. Absolutely not something to mess around with without the necessary education.

Just a side note, the last study I read puts the mortality rate from gastric bypass (general term) at about 2% at 30 days. Thats 1 in 50 individuals die within 30 days of surgery..

The rate goes to almost 3% at 90 days, and 5% at a year.

This was a meta-analysis from 2006, I can possibly look it up if you would like.

The general opinion is that the numbers may be lower or higher, depending on surgeon experience and training, so please...give this some serious thought...

...Just my opinion

edit: The bypass is far from easy..FYI

My mom went through gastric bypass [she has not been involved with EMS in anyway besides being a patient a few times]. One problem I do see is that ingestion of any sugar following the surgery [for a few years at least] is going to put you out of service for at least an hour. It doesn't take much for a patient to develop dumping syndrome either.

Edit: Quick question, does anyone know if gastric bypass is being taught as a contraindication for oral glucose in diabetics?

I think the Gastric Bypass from people I know who had it, takes alot of self control. You have to remember you can't eat anything you want. I know someone who did and every month he was off for a week because of it. I have no experience with a lap band. I am not even sure what it is?

To jump around, and answer a few questions here....

No, I have not had any counseling, yet. They do require it, including, but not limited to a psych evaluation. Then the suregon and the psychiatrist both approve or deny you.

I am going to look into ALL forms of the weight loss surgery. I am one of those that NEEDS restriction. Obviously, I am not good enough on my own, otherwise I wouldn't be in this state I am in. So, I was hoping to use the surgery as a tool, and a not so gentle reminder that I do have to limit and restrict EVERYTHING! I am a quick learner, and hope it will only take one dumping episode to kick my arse..lol

If infact this does happen, it wont be till after May. So, I do have a few months to look into it more, and see what is right for me.

Thank you all for your insight.

I know that there are so many different options for weight loss/treatment. Some work better for some than for others. The best non- surgical I have seen personally work has been Curves programs. I've seen it work on a number of occasions.

I don't know if it is the same thing but I've always noticed that a lot of gals who had braces or extensive dental work eventually went into the dental field. So maybe you do have gastric by-pass or some other procedure done, you may develop an interest in the field.

Good luck by the way. Let us know when the lbs. start to come off.

For someone only vaguely familiar with the whole weight loss reduction surgery option, could someone please tell me what "dumping" refers to? I'd love to know... because I'm sure what I'm imagining isn't correct.

Wendy

CO EMT-B