MVA while working

Sputtervalve

Have you been involved in a ambulance wreck?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - but not my fault
    • Yes - my fault
    • Nope
    • Nope but I got hurt though

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in 3 "accidents"during my career. No one has been injured, and there has never been any damage to the ambulance.

First time, car pulled over, I passed, they pulled into the travel lane before I was completely passed. A pair of pliers fixed the damage to their wheel molding.

Second, I wasn't driving. Ambulance brakes failed, struck 2 cars in front, stopped at a traffic light. No damage to the ambulance, or front car.

Third time, just didn't see the other car. No damage. Other driver admitted to the cop he couldn't identify any "new" damage to the his car.

I've been safe and lucky, want to keep it that way.

Yeah...deff. wasn't a good experience...especially since I just had that feeling we were going on our side. And what especially sucks is the call turned out to be nothing anyway. Damn driver anyway.

Everyone please stay safe out there. Remember you can't help someone if you are injured.

That crashed ambulance, by the door patch, looks like a hospital based ambulance, not an FDNY EMS unit, but under their EMD control.

I was in a nasty ambulance crash back February of 1977.

Coming down the hill from the Grand Central Parkway on 188 Street, and attempting to cross the Hillside Avenue intersection, we were T-Boned on the driver's side, just behind the driver's door, at about 10 PM, on a dry street.

We were in response mode, L&S, reported cardiac patient. We had stopped for the light, which was Red, siren on the "Yelp" setting, believed ourselves to be safe to cross going south, when our Holmes Ambulance Service 1977 Chevrolet/Yankee Coach "Patriot 63", a type 2, got blasted by a Cadillac Sedan de Ville going west at high speed.

My partner was unconscious for at least 5 minutes. I was thrown into the inner hood, called the "doghouse" for some reason, with enough impact to break off the siren box from the plastic of the doghouse. I realized we'd been in a crash, so I followed the wire to the siren, shut it down, reached up to the dashboard and turned off the emergency lights, switched off the engine, and then switched off the vehicle's batteries.

I then braced myself, and hauled myself up so I could see out the front window. The ambulance had been spun a bit over 180 degrees, and was pointed at a FUNERAL PARLOR! ( I vaguely recall saying something to the effect of, "Not yet, youse guys!")

I got out, painfully, as I had bashed my leg good knocking the siren off the wall, and did a walk-around to see what damages had happened, when I heard the ambulance engine start! My partner had regained consciousness, and was attempting to continue the call! I actually had to go to the driver's side, and physically pull the keys out of the ignition.

An ambulance from Jamaica Hospital (not an NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation Ambulance, but under the control of the NYC 9-1-1 system via the NYC HHC EMS), eventually responded, and transported me, my partner, and the driver of the other vehicle to Jamaica Hospital.

I was out of work for 2 weeks, due to my injuries. My partner was fired. The dispatcher who had assigned us the vehicle was also fired, as that particular ambulance was "property" of the shop steward, and was not supposed to even be out on the streets after the "Day" tour ended.

I do not recall what injuries the other driver received, or how badly damaged was his Caddy.

Damage to the ambulance (#54) was, the drivers side wall was pushed in so far, had we been with a patient aboard, I would have had traumatic amputation of both legs, as the streacher, which was still attached to the locking hardware, had been pushed under the "crew bench" where I would have been sitting. Oh, the keys I had pulled out of the ignition? They are, even today, still amongst the missing.

The worst part of the deal? The answering service we used as "night dispatcher" thought our 2-way radio was not working, so they didn't call us to tell us the call had been canceled!

While it took 4 months, the Mid Town Collision Tow Service (which like Holmes Ambulance service, are not around under the same names anymore) somehow rebuilt the truck, which was placed back into service. The company kept me off that ambulance, although they sometimes would assign me that vehicle's twin (ambulance #55).

The company also stiffed the tow company for the costs of the tow and the repair.

They assigned the shop steward to the next new ambulance that got delivered to them (which I never saw the inside of, for some reason, LOL).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.