Worldwide paramedic programs???

nero847

Hello everyone , I was wondering of anyone here knew of any type of worldwide paramedic program that would train you (and be NREMT compliant) in exchange for working for them afterwards. I heard of a program in Israel but can't seem to find it. I am an EMT in Los Angeles and am trying to find any route I can to become a paramedic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mecklenburg EMS Agency (MEDIC) in Charlotte, NC will pay you full time while you are going through their Paramedic program, as long as you agree to work for them for 2 years afterwards. They supply all books, also. I went through this program myself. And they train you to NREMT standards. The program is actually taught through Carolinas College of Health Sciences. MEDIC's website is Mecklenburg EMS Agency. Carolinas College of Health Sciences website is CCHS. I am actually in the picture with the helicopter.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish there was a organization or program that you could apply through or some kind of class or seminar that you could go through to where you could be internationally known or recognized as being a paramedic no matter where you were. I'm not sure how it is in the US right now but we were having a conversation at a bar some time ago. There was a rookie in there and asked to see my credentials. I can't even remember what state it was but at that time they didn't recognize the National Registry or have reciprocity with IL so he was saying that I was nothing and if something happened legally there was nothing I could do even since it said Paramedic on it. And said he could do more than I could. Since it was at a bar and everyone, including me, was pretty "popped", I just let him rant and rave and let him go. Later on I found out he liked to start altercations and arguments.

I wish there was a organization or program that you could apply through or some kind of class or seminar that you could go through to where you could be internationally known or recognized as being a paramedic no matter where you were. I'm not sure how it is in the US right now but we were having a conversation at a bar some time ago. There was a rookie in there and asked to see my credentials. I can't even remember what state it was but at that time they didn't recognize the National Registry or have reciprocity with IL so he was saying that I was nothing and if something happened legally there was nothing I could do even since it said Paramedic on it. And said he could do more than I could. Since it was at a bar and everyone, including me, was pretty "popped", I just let him rant and rave and let him go. Later on I found out he liked to start altercations and arguments.

I know the Wilderness upgrades, although not necessarily recognized by any type of government agency are recognized by other country's ems services. I have a friend who took one in Hong Kong while working there as a FF for a chemical company. They have classes here too and where he works now recognized that type of cert. for Wild land FF or something like that.

I don't see why more Private companies don't do this. If you work for them as a Basic and they think your worth the investment, why not put them through medic school.

Most trucking companies will do this. You sign a contract saying I will work with your for x amount of years and your training is paid for. If you leave early you have to pay them back for your schooling.

I know of several companies that do that, but shame on you for comparing us to truck drivers. It sounds like moving up from bagging groceries to using the cash register.

I know of several companies that do that, but shame on you for comparing us to truck drivers. It sounds like moving up from bagging groceries to using the cash register.

Yes, that is an unfair comparison. The average truck driver makes much more than the average EMT.

Yes, that is an unfair comparison. The average truck driver makes much more than the average EMT.

And has more training. And has more experience. And does it for more years. And never does it for free.

There you go; the difference between EMT and a real profession.

This is NOT a comparison, it is a very tangible concept and win/win situation and a good suggestion by jessicaCNAEMT

If you would like provide ANY links to any present EMS providers that would be a true positive change in your general tenor, mr BVESBC, I am begining to observe a repetative negative input that usually results with AK using his powers, as the village idiots helper .... well take that at face value.

I can say that Acadian in Lousiana does have their own school. I have worked with a few of their graduates and they do produce a good practitioner. If one were wanting to explore the area of improving ones skills to the REMT-P level one could google a quick search, and Acadian has a great website.

cheers

This is NOT a comparison, it is a very tangible concept and win/win situation and a good suggestion by jessicaCNAEMT

If you would like provide ANY links to any present EMS providers that would be a true positive change in your general tenor, mr BVESBC, I am begining to observe a repetative negative input that usually results with AK using his powers, as the village idiots helper .... well take that at face value.

I can say that Acadian in Lousiana does have their own school. I have worked with a few of their graduates and they do produce a good practitioner. If one were wanting to explore the area of improving ones skills to the REMT-P level one could google a quick search, and Acadian has a great website.

cheers

I'm not bashing any educators, I don't know who Acadian is what so ever or what it has to do with this. The concept could be sound withstanding the exception, That in my experience regardless of contractual obligations providers use a service to pay for their education and then dissappear to the highest bidder. It still would appear that private and small companys are unwilling to bear this cost mostly for this reason. If you really want to move ahead with your education, the way to do it is to work for it. Take out a student loan if need be as long as you pay for it. By that I mean work for your money and pay for it yourself. It will mean more to you when you finish it than if someone hands it to you. What would happen if every EMT decided s/he wanted to go to school and 5% finished, Who pays? are you going to be able to collect it from someone who works for you making 10 $ a hour?? I'm not being negative it is realistic.

I'm not bashing any educators, I don't know who Acadian is what so ever or what it has to do with this. The concept could be sound withstanding the exception, That in my experience regardless of contractual obligations providers use a service to pay for their education and then dissappear to the highest bidder. It still would appear that private and small companys are unwilling to bear this cost mostly for this reason. If you really want to move ahead with your education, the way to do it is to work for it. Take out a student loan if need be as long as you pay for it. By that I mean work for your money and pay for it yourself. It will mean more to you when you finish it than if someone hands it to you. What would happen if every EMT decided s/he wanted to go to school and 5% finished, Who pays? are you going to be able to collect it from someone who works for you making 10 $ a hour?? I'm not being negative it is realistic.

:thumbright:

Acadian is one of the largest private EMS providers in the country, running most of Louisiana, as well as parts of Mississippi and Texas. They run in-house EMT and Paramedic programmes of dubious quality. That's why it was relevant to this particular discussion. They do a decent job of retention pretty much because there are so few other places for their graduates to defect to without leaving the state, lol.

Yes you make a good point in regards to retention of staff, the stats here indicate a 3 year purge, as everyone believes the grass is greener on the other side .... meh.

In regards to every dog and cat wanting too and few graduating, first off not that many positions available I would speculate and I believe their is field evaluations done on a very routine basis for the EMT-B that I worked with, and prior to any agreement for them to access further education, many many exams. Sadly (was kinda busy) I did not have an opportunity to do trips with an REMT-P's, just many interactions that were very positive.

No matter what, at least this Company has made strides to provide futher educatuion opportunities for their staff and address the needs of the community that they serve, very commited bunch of men and hot chicks during the Katrina/Rita nightmare got to take your hat off to them for their commitment, you know sometimes a good heart makes up for many other things.

And don't think for one second I am just blowing smoke, there's problems in every system but lots of ways to skin a possum.... whatever the heck that is they eat ....eewwuuu I will pass thanks.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.