Requesting online study buddy for EMT Basic

LisaO925

We have heard that pnemonics(sp. mnemonics)are useless and only stupid people who attend poor quality programs need to use them.

I don't think it is necessarily the people using mnemonics that are the problem but how they are taught to use them. Most people use them for one thing or another..we just never used them much, nor were we taught that way (generic we) . It is harder for me to memorize a mnemonic for everything I do, rather than memorize the information proper. That is where I am coming from...

It is much more important to realize that you should base your assessments on the patient and their condition. To use the same mnemonic for every call is asking to miss something..He (dustdevil) makes mention of the "cookbook paractitioners"..these people are generally less than adequate when the 'poop hits the fan' due to their lack of critical thinking. It is more important to fit your interview to your patient than the patient to your interview or mnemonic..For this you would need the strong base education in disease process for an adequate differential..

The OP was not being chastised, only the fact that it appeared to be a cookbook class designed around a protocol book, and not medicine..that was most of the points I gleaned from the "discussion", and I use that term loosely.

It would be advisable to find an assessment tool that fits the OP's personality and knowledge base, and use this for a general interview and fit it to the patient condition, complaints, etc. Very few things happen in the order of the mnemonics, and most of the questions never get asked, the answers are in the presentation and complaints. If you get flustered when you miss a letter, or it happens out of order (I have seen this)..then you are in trouble.....

One more point to take under advisement for the OP...thicken the skin.. If everything is taken to heart as this was..you will not be long for this area of medicine..especially as you get into the advanced levels and your every move is scrutinized..just a word, or two...more than I intended to write, anyway.. 8)

Edited for content..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I must've been tired! MNEMONIC, not pneumonic... my apologies...

Wendy

GASP! A typo!?! I'm marking this on my calendar!

See! This just goes to show why basics need more....Ha...just kidding. I'm not that brave... :lol:

Fine. I'll throw my opinion hat in the ring. Mnemonics are a learning tool, and only a learning tool. Like CC said you will develop your own little rap when it comes to interrogating... I mean interviewing patients. It will happen faster then you can believe. In all honesty I had to stop and think about what OPQRST even stood for. Odds are it might not even be in the same order, you will set your own order of importance.

Also the patient will set the tone for you and might answer all those questions in one sentence. Learn what you need to know from the patient through mnemonics and in time you won't even realize your getting the info you need on your own.

After all I let slide from you, Dwayne? Alright... revel in it... but no more mercy!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

After all I let slide from you, Dwayne? Alright... revel in it... but no more mercy!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

But Wendy...sweetums....I meant it in the kindest possible sense!

Besides...when I first started on this board a couple of weeks ago, I think what put you on my radar was your correcting my spelling and grammar! The VERY first time you responded to one of my carefully typed posts....yep. Grammar check... :D

But I know you were just kidding about the whold "mercy" thing...C'mon....I'm old. :lol:

Dwayne

The "whold" mercy thing? Someone IS getting "whold" lol....

:lol: No mercy, Dwayne... unless you can think of a good reason (other than being "whold!")

Wendy

CO EMT-B

That easy!

I'm fat, homely, not very bright, and you've made a committment to caring for the mentally/physically challenged!

You're morally/ethically obligated to be nice to me... :lol:

Dwayne

Actually, was just eyeing a Walther 380 just last night. I'm old enough to pack now and I'd certainly like to be able to defend myself should I find myself a home invasion crime victim.

But I digress.

OK, Dwayne... queue up with the rest for your fruit salad and meds... :lol: (no offense meant to anyone)

/back on topic

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Actually, was just eyeing a Walther 380 just last night. I'm old enough to pack now and I'd certainly like to be able to defend myself should I find myself a home invasion crime victim.

But I digress.

OK, Dwayne... queue up with the rest for your fruit salad and meds... :lol: (no offense meant to anyone)

/back on topic

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Sweet! And I'll be needing a sponge bath, and some help eating my jello....I like it by candlelight.