Talking tiredness

Excercise tolernance

T-indications for:

Expiration date of medication

Medication - correct for indiction

Pt's medication - is it prescribed to the Pt

Dosage

Route

What a complete load....You spend all your time learning mnemonics to learn which questions to ask...when do you learn what the answers to the questions mean?

They should concentrate on useful, base education...then go with the frivolous crap...Darn!! there is that EDUCATION word again.. :oops:

...Just my opinion....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, come on people. Take a valium and stop flogging the messenger. I agree, acronyms like this are asinine, but she isn't teaching them. Discussion could/should/has happened about situations like this, but it really doesn't belong in this thread [a request for help] nor is the OP the one that deserves the flogging over this.

You know, just as it seems that every few months we have an influx of people that need to make the argument that spelling and grammar don't matter, it seems that we have those same phases where the City gets mean....

I look at post after post of...

If you use mnemonics you are, or will be, an idiot.

If you need mnemonics to tell a patient is hurting you're an idiot.

You're an idiot for using mnemonics because you won't understand the answers you recieve anyway.

If you want to be a basic you're an idiot, because basics are idiots.

You must be an idiot, because your teacher seems to be an idiot, and you're still at that school.

Did all of the non idiots in this thread read the title? Did she make an argument for these practices somewhere that I missed? Are you under the impression that she invented them?

She wanted a little help studying.

We get all high and mighty about how the City is for learning, for helping people that want to further their education, yet you're willing to chase away a n00b because she was taught different mnemonics than you? What in the hell is going on!?

Lisa, some of these same people, on a different day, would tell you, "No matter what level you're at, no matter what your certification, do not allow people to treat you with disrepect." Unfortunately at times like this you will come to understand why people say that "EMS eats it's young."

I'm gonna channel Dust for a second...(my word of course not his)

"If you ask your teachers a simple question, or make a simple request for help and they tell you that what you're learning, how your learning it, or simply that you're not smart enough to learn it, without offering you a better alternative? Then your teachers suck."

Good luck getting her to ask her next quesion.

Dwayne

Hey, Lisa... if you want to PM me I'll PM you back a scenario- we can do it the slow way if that works better for you.

And whatever pneumonic works for you, use it! :D I'll just have to translate (you might have to put the words, not just the letters, for me) into what I've learned, pneumonics and all.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ok, come on people. Take a valium and stop flogging the messenger. I agree, acronyms like this are asinine, but she isn't teaching them. Discussion could/should/has happened about situations like this, but it really doesn't belong in this thread [a request for help] nor is the OP the one that deserves the flogging over this.

Oooops. You must have posted in the 2 1/2 days it took me to type up my post...I like your attitude though... :wink:

Dwayne

Hey, Lisa... if you want to PM me I'll PM you back a scenario- we can do it the slow way if that works better for you.

And whatever pneumonic works for you, use it! :D I'll just have to translate (you might have to put the words, not just the letters, for me) into what I've learned, pneumonics and all.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

When did this become about compressed air?

Ya know what, nevermind....

I am done here

The few on this board that helped or are helping me, I will stay in contact with. I am honestly sick of this bashing.

I paid for my school, and I am doing what I can, what they tell me to, and doing what needs to be done.

I cant apologize if people feel my education is crap. It is what it is.

How would any of you feel if you were just as excited about something, (something you are working hard on) and wanted to be the best you could be at it. Just for others (from different regions, states, cities, generations, levels, etc.) to tell you its all wrong! It may not be what what you learned. It may not be right for you. But for my county, my NR, my school, and its what they want, and its whats needed for me to graduate.

I didn't create the program, and yes, I did sign up for it. But after meeting about 5 (of many) successful Paramedics that had infact graduated from that same class, it can't be all wrong.

Not many remember what it was like to be a medic. I mean, all Paramedics started somewhere, right? It doesn't matter the letters, the questions, or the school uniform I wear. It matters that I do, right? And that I do well, and I help people, save lives, and learn and grow with each call. And, thanks to this board, I will NEVER forget that I too was a medic once, and started at the bottom. I will NEVER slam anyone or look down on them for that, no matter what.

Be safe everyone...

Thank you for the time here

I am honestly sick of this bashing.

This goes back to the wise advice that Dwayne recently posted in another topic. That is, if "bashing" is not aimed at you, why would you take it personal? I haven't seen anybody here bash you for this mnemonic thing. Like you yourself said, you didn't personally design this programme. You're just paying your money and taking your chances like all of us did. But, things you are saying lead those of us who have significant experience with education to believe that your programme leaves some to be desired in their style. That's all. That doesn't mean you personally suck, or that you will suck as a medic for going there. You're not going to catch me getting all bent out of shape if somebody points out that my paramedic school or nursing school sucked. And they did. My paramedic school sucked arse, but I think I turned out okay, about six years of college and twenty years of experience later. You can too, and probably a lot faster than I did. But first, you have to free your mind and learn to view the big picture, even the bad parts. You also have to learn to not get personally wrapped up in every discussion, because if you get personally offended by discussions of your schools shortcomings, then you have absolutely NO hope of remaining emotionally detached from the horrors you are going to encounter in your career, and it will be a very short lived and miserable one.

Look at it this way. You came here asking for help. Well, people are giving you help. Maybe not the help you specifically asked for, but you'd be stupid to look that gift horse in the mouth. Take it all in. Keep it all in perspective. Live. Learn. Progress. And don't take it personal.

The bottom line of what is being said here is that programmes that over-rely on mnemonics are usually cookbook schools that teach you to pass a test, but leave you clueless when it comes to field practice. Because, if they were truly teaching you how to professionally assess a patient, you wouldn't need them in the first place. If you want to take that as "bashing" you personally, then yes, do feel free to leave.