Requesting online study buddy for EMT Basic

LisaO925

I dont really have alot of people at home, (well none any) that can help me with my initial assessments (SOB/Chest Paint/Abdominal Pain/BASIC-Head to toe exam) outside of class. Is there anyone who wouldnt mind helping me via IM chat set up an evironment, and run through a few basic initials and them some with PASTE / OPQRST/ including the TEMPDR's for them?

You can just send me a message on here..

Not sure if it matters, but I am in CA, and I am only in EMT-B right now..

Thank you so very much

Title changed to reflect content...AK

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am on AIM, feel free to IM me. But you're going to have to fill me in on WTF PASTE and TEMPDRS mean. Never heard of them.

Patient? Allergies? Signs? Time? Events? Is that what PASTE is? How about we use SAMPLE like most of the country is aware of...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

How about we use SAMPLE like most of the country is aware of...

Or how about none of them, as we managed to do without for thirty years.

You know that old theory about the amount of crap on an EMTs belt having an inverse relationship to their experience level? I am seeing the evolution of a whole new theory. That is, the amount of silly acronyms used by an EMT school has an inverse relationship to the quality of their training.

What is PASTE and what is TEMPRDS?

Progression

Associated chest pain

Sputum

Talking tiredness

Excercise tolernance

T-indications for:

Expiration date of medication

Medication - correct for indiction

Pt's medication - is it prescribed to the Pt

Dosage

Route

Or how about none of them, as we managed to do without for thirty years.

You know that old theory about the amount of crap on an EMTs belt having an inverse relationship to their experience level? I am seeing the evolution of a whole new theory. That is, the amount of silly acronyms used by an EMT school has an inverse relationship to the quality of their training.

Even the teachers have said that when you get out in the field you will learn your own way of doing assessments and other "stuff". Until then, I have to do as they teach me/us in the class, and they go by the skill sheets the NR gives them.

I need to "learn their way" Until I can find my way.

Yes, we've certainly established that American EMS courses suck. Do you propose someone fail the course as a matter of moral principle, when they've put down several hundred if not thousands of dollars for it because BEFORE THEY GOT THERE they DIDN'T KNOW HOW SCREWED UP WE WERE.... ?

You have to jump hoops to pass *any* class, since passing is at the discretion of the instructor. EMS hoops happen to be ridiculous acronyms and the farce that is the NREMT test.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

For a class that teaches mostly algorithms, I don't really see acronyms such as OPRST inappropriate. They're succinct ways to ask as appropriate questions, especially when under stress and your mind blanks. Attempting to do much more based on the 100-200 hours of training is asking for mess-ups in the field.