speed limit??

Steven H

So how many meeting rooms, board rooms, offices, tables, card tables, bars, etc. has this issue been addressed?

I don't have a direct answer to the original question of setting an actual speed limit. But may I give the guidelines which I gave myself more or less? In my first statement I'll use two words, "Common Sense". In a fair representation I'd say 85% of emergency driving is common sense. (Argue amongst yourselves if you have another number in mind).

Situation 1 Responding in a city/urban area with traffic. If you are going faster than the surrounding traffic, but still maintaining a stable enough enviroment for the staff to function, then you are going fast enough.

Situation 2 Same as Sit.1 but no traffic, as long as those in the back are not being bounced around like silly putty and able to function adequately and safely, then you are going fast enough.

Situation3 Open highway, hospital to hospital transfer. When traffic is cooperative and patient is stable, your crew are able to perform all skills and you are able to maintain a faster but still safe speed, you are going fast enough.

Situation4 Same as Sit.3, but, unstable patient, helo. is down. This is for the more experienced driver(s). You have an understanding with your crew (also more experienced) ahead of time that it will need to communicate at all times. For whatever reason, if someone of the crew needs a more stable ride, then slow down and use what skills you can to comply. If driver and crew agree that there are no current skills needed to be performed at that time, then with common sense and judgement obtained through prior experience, accelerate to speed deemed to be expeditious yet within the bounds of relative safety.

Situation 5 For the rare and uncommon transfer/response which time is of the essence and no other transport is available there are the situations which only a very few select, most experienced few are deemed qualified. They may be known in other areas as other names but we called them "Kamikaze" runs. When a doctor pulls you aside and asks you that even with stopping time, you can average over 85 mph, then you know he is wanting his patient at the other facility in the quickest time possible. This type of transport does not fall on the skills of just the driver, but by the entire crew. One must realize that at those speeds, something like a flat/blow would be no recovery. A passenger is a must up front to be a second set of eyes and to be able to help determine which lane of traffic should be the most efficient.

***I hope everyone will realize I was going from a somewhat serious realm of reality to an off beat quirky dimension of delusion between Sits. 3 & 4. I'm sorry about that. Guess I got caught up in procrastinating too much around here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Situation 5 For the rare and uncommon transfer/response which time is of the essence and no other transport is available there are the situations which only a very few select, most experienced few are deemed qualified. They may be known in other areas as other names but we called them "Kamikaze" runs. When a doctor pulls you aside and asks you that even with stopping time, you can average over 85 mph, then you know he is wanting his patient at the other facility in the quickest time possible. This type of transport does not fall on the skills of just the driver, but by the entire crew. One must realize that at those speeds, something like a flat/blow would be no recovery. A passenger is a must up front to be a second set of eyes and to be able to help determine which lane of traffic should be the most efficient.

The above situation should NEVER NEVER NEVER happen. A kamikaze run is absurd and I hope that the poster was being facetious.

Do you feel there should be a cap on ambulance speed limits running emergent?
NO!

There are places with no traffic, great visibility, clean, dry, smooth pavement.

We have attained over 100 mph at such places.

In such conditions it would be ridiculous to restrict speed to 10 mph over the posted speed limit.

(At those speeds I worry about tire failure, but they are well below the speed ratings.)

Likewise, we slow to a safe speed which conditions permit.

In icy conditions I have driven only 5 mph -any faster and I could lose control.

Also, in fog, 5 mph with all e-lights off, low beams only.

Any faster and I would not be able to stop in time if someone/something suddenly appeared in front.

With patient on board, we drive much more slowly and gently.

Our Service Has a govener on it and it does not allows us to go over 80 miles an hour. Try being on the interstate and being past by everyone. Our policy is you respond emergent to every. I doesn't make cense to run emergent if everyone is passing you.
Yes!

Why keep lights on and needlessly disturb the peace if people are passing you and no one is in your way?

Totally uneeded and ridiculous. To the public you look like clowns.

I was driving a firetruck which could not attain the 55 mph Interstate speed limit.

I turned off all the lights. Then after I signalled and exited onto the off-ramp, turned everything back on which would be need at the upcoming intersection.

Did not lengthen our response time even one second, and did not impede traffic flow.

Sometimes I get this almost overpowering urge to drift over and crush the arseholes on motorcycles that ride the divider line between lanes to get through traffic.

In some states, it is perfectly legal and expected.

Why should they be impeded by slow traffic or backups if they can proceed?

We have attained over 100 mph at such places.
I can assure you sir, that you would never, repeat never obtain 100+ mph with me in the back. It doesn't matter what the road conditions, traffic volume etc is, I'd call the cops myself from the back of the ambulance if I noticed this.

That is just ludicrous. I can not think of one situation that would require such speeds. Other than the wacker factor of course.

In some states, it is perfectly legal and expected.

Huh...? :shock:

In what state is it legal and expected to run over cyclists?

I want to move there! :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.