Cold Weather EMS

wolfden

I ran across an article and I am looking for information as to where a person can find the items in the photos. They are a heater with a flexible pipe that you can use to pump heat to victims.

pic.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

at least a name - been googling rescue heating unit and not finding anything.

Living in ND, the winters are harsh and something like this is worth looking into. Just need to know what to look into.

I'm not sure how quick and easily it can be assembled, but from what I can tell, by the time you get all the "bells & whistles" connected and running, you can get them extricated and in a warm ambulance. But I can see the advantages in a northern region where extrication and transportation can be a delayed.

Try a google search for "HERMAN NELSON HEATERS" these are very popular in the northern climbs where I have worked, one does need a "GENSET" or portable generator, about 6 kw minimum that also support light towers (have yet to see a big MCI when it was dry, warm and during the daylight hours) many "Genni's" have a pinto hitch and are wheel mounted therefore one can drag it behind a 1/2 ton and place the Herman Nelson in the back of the truck, they can quickly be deployed, just a matter of firing up the gennie and presto.

hope that helps

What squint said..... ;):lol::D:D:D

We used to use these in Alaska to pre heat our aircraft.

Thats funny WE used Hangers .... 8) most times lol.

Must be your experiences, that you have never had an MCI when it was dry, warm and

during the daylight hours.

The September 11, 2001 attack on America was a beautiful warm morning, here in NYC. So was November 12, 2001, when American Airlines flight 587 crashed into my community (Belle Harbor, Queens County, NYC, NY), killing all 260 on board, and 5 on the ground.

The gen sets with lights had all day to be trucked in to both sites, as both happened in the morning. The same for the portable satellite linkup telephone trailers.

I won't say that the weather cooperates, indeed, in June of 1975, it was a wind shear condition, connected with a thunderstorm that might have been a tornado, brought down Eastern Airlines flight 66, crashing with only the first 10 feet of the jet making it into the outer perimeter fence at Kennedy International Airport, killing 113 aboard.

And let us not forget when mother earth herself is directly responsible for the MCI, like floods, tornadoes, hurricanes/cyclones, earthquakes, volcanoes, land and mudslides.

As for a gen set to a heating device, for temporarily heating a car's interior during an extended extrication, if the rescuers think, during pre-planning for any potential incidents within their response area, that they need one, I would be incorrect to try and tell them "No". They know their territory better than I do.

I presume the heating units might be similar to those I see heating and venting electrical, sewage, and natural gas access ports (gotta find a sex neutral term for "Manhole") when Consolidated Edison, the telephone company, or Department of Environmental Protection crews have to go underground.

I have a small "feel" for the North Dakotans, as my brother is one, in Grand Forks, ND. He told me they are having a heat wave, as the temperature went UP to MINUS FIVE today.

Must be your experiences, that you have never had an MCI when it was dry, warm and

during the daylight hours.

Yea I am sure its ME ! :oops:

I have a small "feel" for the North Dakotans, as my brother is one, in Grand Forks, ND. He told me they are having a heat wave, as the temperature went UP to MINUS FIVE today.

SWEET those lucky buggers ! Oh sure rub it in ! LOL.

pass the anti freeze please.

Thanks for the great info guys.

I agree that rapid extrication in -37C + is the way to go, but it's not always possible. The eastern part of ND is very flat and we can experience 8 months of winters/cold months. The windchill factor is always something we have to take into consideration as the open areas have no protection. Being rural doesn't help either, it can take us 15 to 20 minutes to get to some areas, so that person has already had plenty of exposure. I just think this would be a great tool to have on our team when needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.